What's new

Which SVS sub should I buy? (1 Viewer)

DavidSugar

Auditioning
I am doing a whole new theater. The room is 16' x 23' with a 8' ceiling. I am thinking about the following system. The use will be 50% TV, 40% movies, 10% music.
Mitsubishi 53411 TV
Denon 1803 receiver
4 M&K K-5 speakers($300 per pair)
1 M&K k-7 for the center($200)
Denon DVM 1805 DVD player
After reading the posts on this forum, I am thinking about an SVS subwoofer. My impression is that 20-39 makes the most sense. However, do I go powered or unpowered?
Also, as I know very little about speakers, I would appreciate any other suggestions as to alternatives. The 5 M&K speakers will total about $800 and I would like to stay close to that amount. I am planning to buy at ABT in Chicago because of their outstanding customer is always right attitude on everything they sell. They also carry JBL, Canton, Infinity, JMLab, and Mirage.
Any suggestions would be aprreciated, thanks in advance.
:frowning:

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I dig the 20*39 too.

Unpowered people are usually one of two types - tweakers or budgeted. I was tight on cash, and got the CS and ran it off of whatever I had around. Then I got amp after amp, EQ, etc. and tweaked.

With the PC, you plug it in and go. You can add EQ, but are tied to the amp in it forever, which is not a bad thing at all since it's a killer amp.

Good Luck!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
If $800 is your budget, get the 20-39PC+. If you (admittedly) know little about speakers and just want plug and play ease, it's the way to go.

It's a better value and easier to connect than a single CS+, the Samson S1000, and the SVS01 Marchand "black box", which is essentially what you would need to purchase from SVS in order to duplicate the power and features of the PC+.

If you are handy, DIY can be fun and offers the best performance/dollar ratio. In essence, you exchange sweat equity for dollars. Dustin seems to be the forum DIY expert - I would definitely consult with him before taking that route.

The HSU VTF-3 for around $800 seems to be a strong performer also, although I haven't heard one, many other forum members have, so consult with them. Based on instrumented testing for the VTF-3 I've seen posted here and at other forums, in terms of extension, THD, and SPL, I really don't think it will outgun (or even match) a PC+, though. It might, however, have a better WAF.

Regards,

Ed Mullen

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an SVS 2531PC+, and my jaw is still on the floor. This thing is GUT WRENCHING. It is the cleanest bass I've ever encountered in my life. I've had "subs" from Boston, Definitive, Klipsch, and Infinity. I'm hearing and FEELING bass I never even knew existed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks