Which SVS sub for 20'x22' room?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AnnLucky, Nov 15, 2004.

1. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

Hello,

I am debating on whether to get a SVS PB10-ISD or the PB12-ISD. As stated in the title, the room is 20x22 feet, and I'm looking to spend around $400-$600 for a good sub.

I know both subs are in my price range, but is the extra $200 for the PB12 really make it a lot more noticeable than the PB10 in a room my size? I was going to go with the PB10 if it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

The following are my other speakers...

Center = Infinity Primus c25
    Rear Surround = Infinity Primus 150
    Mains = Infinity Primus 360
    Receiver = Some Pioneer, most likely 1014x.

Any suggestions are welcome!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'll let you know later this evening after I get the PB-10 fired up [​IMG] My room is ~19x20 with high vaulted ceilings. I have been running a HSU VTF-2 for a while and it has done better than expected in this size of room. I'm looking for a bit more, and I expect the PB-10 will be fine in a room that size unless you are looking for some serious SPL down low.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The PB10-ISD might be up to it Ann but imo I would spend the extra $$ and go with the PB12-ISD if you can. Thats one fairly good size room your in there and a little headroom would be nice. If your ceiling is a minimum 8' your looking at a 3520^ room with possible openings? I guess it just depends what your looking for and your listening level. If you have a sub placement option close to seating? That would be a (good thing) in favor of the PB10-ISD and would require less gain with a little more feel to your bass/LFE.

4. John Garcia

John
    With a room that size, I was going to suggest the PB-12 or HSU STF-3 also, but that ups the budget a bit and it depends if you are looking for "enough" or "a lot" [​IMG] Corner loaded in a nearly square room can get touchy too, as nulls are far more likely (I have one now with my VTF-2).

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

"enough" or "a lot"[​IMG]
    __________________________________________________ _____

Very good point John. That kind of reminds me of a little Joke I have going with Frank. MMmm, I wonder what he would suggest?[​IMG]

6. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

If a cylinder doesn't fit into your plans (25/31 PCI), I would go for the PB12-ISD as you are looking to fill a large room. That being said, a PB-10 may do the trick depending on your listening preferences. Regardless of which one you choose, it should exceed your expectations when properly set up.

7. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

SO John G, how is the pb10 faring in that room of yours? Im interested.

8. John Garcia

John
    You can see my initial impressions in my post. So far though, it has plenty of rumble in my room. Not as much air movement as a 25-31PCi, but plenty for this room and my needs.

9. AnnLucky

AnnLucky Auditioning

So this is what I got...the sb10 should work for what I want, but if possible I should go with the sb12 to ensure that it have what I want with some extra.

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

So this is what I got...the sb10 should work for what I want, but if possible I should go with the sb12 to ensure that it have what I want with some extra.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Since the PB12-ISD fits within your stated budget and your room is 20 X 22. I once again would recommend the PB12-ISD. It will give you a little more feel with your bass. (Move more air) That would be the extra. Certain HTF members would settle for nothing less than the PB12-Plus/2 in your size room, but admittedly (some would say) we get carried away with our bass. I believe you would really like the PB10-ISD but you might like the PB12-ISD a little better in that size room??

11. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

quote:

Very good point John. That kind of reminds me of a little Joke I have going with Frank. MMmm, I wonder what he would suggest? [​IMG]
    __________________________________________________ ________

Won't want to disappoint 'ya, Steve...so I'll recommend... the more, the marrier! [​IMG]

Seriously...I would also go with the 12-incher sub for that size room if it was me...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Won't want to disappoint 'ya, Steve...so I'll recommend... the more, the marrier![​IMG]
    __________________________________________________ ______

I see your new here on the Forum AnnLucky so please let me introduce to you Frank Manrique. He is the proud owner of 8 16-46 CS cylinders and 2 B12-Plus/4 subwoofers. He's the type of guy who knows what true headroom is[​IMG]