What's new

Which SVS should I go with? (1 Viewer)

Hiya, I've finally convinced myself its time to take the SVS plunge and get me a new subwoofer!!! I'm torn between two models and looking for some advice. Little info on my room… This unfortunately isn’t the ideal HT room but has to do for the time being. Our home is a "great room ranch" design and so is fairly open :frowning: Its 14.5x21.5ft with an 8ft going to 11.5ft vaulted ceiling. There is a large 9ft opening behind the viewing area into another room. The subs I'm considering are the 20-39PCi and the CS+ with the Samson amp combo. I know which is the "better" option but what I am wondering is, if I’m going to get the kind of increased response from the CS+ over the PCi that I’m looking for. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the PCi unit. The primary reasons for selecting the PCi right now are convenience of the built in amp and also for price reasons. I plan on one day setting up a HT room and like the idea that I could add an additional CS+ to the Samson amp later on but this is only a side thought. So what are your recommendations? I don’t want to make another sub mistake as I did in the past with my current sub (a very disappointing Yamaha sw160 :frowning:) Do you think that the CS+ would give enough "bonus" to warrant the $350 premium?

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
If you e-mail Tom from SVS he will likely want you to e-mail or fax a sketch of the room and then he would be able to give you a better idea of what would work better. He was extremly helpful to me. He even answered e-mails over Easter and answered every question I had.
[email protected]
Matt

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Matt,

Will you be able to place the subwoofer in a *good*(enclosed)corner of the room? On bass heavy DVD/CDs...how loud do you like to push the volume?(close to reference levels?).

TV

The sub is most likely going to be placed in a corner that is fully enclosed. The wall behind my viewing area has an opening to another room though. I do like to push certain DVD's close to reference just to get the rush once in a while but usually would listen to them less than this if only to avoid my wife kicking me and my sub out on the street!:D

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
Is it ok to put the sub right behind a CRT direct-view TV?

Our TV is in a corner, and I'm thinking the best spot would be right behind it. Not sure if the SVS should be away from other electronics.

Thanks.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Matt,
I think we're moving along via private email..but be sure to let me know if I missed something :)
Mo,
Predetermining the subwoofer's location isn't the best option...but since you are speaking of a corner...it might work out great. As long as you keep the bottom of the sub(where the driver is) 20-24" away from the tv,you should be fine from a flux standpoint.If that's the only location in the room you can use...and the tv seems too close,I think the vtf-2 is mag-shielded(double check though)...it won't match a 25-31PCi...but it's probably as close as you are going to get at its 499(direct from hsu)price :)
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks