Which SVS PC+?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Mullin, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Bill Mullin

Bill Mullin Stunt Coordinator

OK, I've definitely decided to get an SVS subwoofer. I've read the SVS FAQ's and will be purchasing the 20-39PC+ or the 16-46PC+, but I still can't make up my mind which one to go with. Size and price are considerations, but not majorly so. Does anybody have any enlightening suggestions (beyond the SVS FAQ's) that might help? [​IMG] FWIW my HT room is small, there's only 1 door, and 100% of my listening will be movies.
    TIA, Bill

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Few will agree with me, but my answer is .... it doesn't really matter. The 16 will go a little lower and the 20 will go a little louder, but they are more alike than different.

3. Bill Mullin

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

According to SVS, the trade off is a few less DB in the higher bass ranges (>20Hz) where bass is more common.

As a 20-39PC+ owner with it tuned to 16Hz, if that's true, I'm scared of how loud the thing is capable of going. I even had the thing tuned to 12Hz when I first got it, and I may go back to that as I didn't hear any loss of volume at the levels I listen (usually 10 or so DB below reference, but sometimes all the way to reference).

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

With a smaller room and few doors, you probably aren't going to need all the SPL that the 25-31 or 20-39 are capable of. You'd probably be better off with a 16-46 to take advantage of all of the ultra-low stuff like the Episode I DD trailer--my 16-46 handles that without effort. I can only expect that more and more DVDs will plumb the depths of how low can you go, and it's a good feeling to be ready for them. [​IMG]

6. Bill Mullin