Which SVS for 300 sq ft?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alex Bischoff, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    My home theater room is L-shaped and it's about 300 sq ft (297.6 sq ft, actually). And I'm trying to figure out which SVS would suit me best (I'm currently using the 11.5 x 16.5 axis for HT).

[​IMG]

I use my system for about 90% HT and 10% music and I'm looking for some floor-rumbling, jaw-dropping, pants-flapping bass [​IMG]. I'm open to both box(es) or cylinder(s) and I'm willing to spend up to about $1200 (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Though I wouldn't mind having some headroom in case I later move into a bigger apartment, I don't want to spend more money than I have to either (if that makes sense).

PS If you have a used SVS for sale that you think would fit my needs, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

2. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

I think we'd be much better with a measure in cubic ft. instead. Here's an example:

300 sq. ft x 8 ft. ceiling = 2400 cu. ft

300 sq. ft x 10 ft. ceiling = 3000 cu. ft

300 sq. ft x 12 ft. = 3600 cu. ft

Quite a difference...

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Alex, I have a 220 sq.ft. or 1,760 cu. ft. theater and have a 25-31PCi and a 25(22hz-tuned)-31CS SVS sub...and am quite happy! I don't think it's a matter of which one..but HOW MUCH and HOW LOW you want the bass to go! [​IMG]

My advice...go for broke, as long as it doesn't break you, and then contact Tom/Ron at SVS...they'll give you their honest opinion!

E

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

My room is a similar size to yours and I have 20-39pci. I wouldn't say it's jaw dropping bass but it is definately there and you can feel it. I only have my SVS turned up about 25% right now though to gradually get my fiance used to it.

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I have about the same square footage w/an 8' ceiling. I'd pick up a PB2+ if i were you.

7. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff

8. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure either will work for this size room. Also, it doesn't matter what side of the room you are using because you will have to pressurize the whole room unless you have a way to seal off one leg of the "L". If it were me, I'd say screw it and get the biggest sucker you can afford. Nothing like extra bass when ya need it![​IMG]

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

What you need to keep in mind is that lesser subs will go to sleep in the lower Hz material. Going with a SVS plus sub will ensure that your bass will have authority in the lower regions. A 25-31+ or a 20-39+ would address this for you and a PB2+ would give you the headroom you spoke of. Don't let a APT. get in your way of going with a SVS. Just under calibrate it a few dB's and don't listen to your movies at to high of a level. You will not need to buy another sub when you move and you will save $$ in the long run and have good quality bass. If you can do it right from the get-go?? You will be glad you did imo. You also might find a few opportunities to let her rip! [​IMG]