What's new

Which Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Richie-C

Agent
Guys I need help deciding which sub to buy as I am looking to upgrade an old JBL PW1200 that sounds like mush. I have recently updated me speakders to Paradigm Studio 100's in the front L, R, Center is a Paradigm LCR 450, with Studio ADP's for surround speaders. I also moved my older Paradigm Eclipses from the front to the rear backs.

These are powered by a Pioneer Elite 49TX which I also just purchased. However my funds have dwindled and I am now looking for the best sub for around $750. The Paradigm 2200 is one of the subs that I am looking at but I have no clue what else is out there in the price range I have.
SVS has been suggested as a possible alternative but which model?

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
The SVS 16-46 PCi is currently on sale for $599. That's tough to beat and the UPS man should be delivering mine today! Hurray!

Which SVS model you should purchase varies depending upon what frequency range is most important to you (assuming the aesthetics of the large tubes doesn't bother you). The lower frequency models go much lower (rattles the pictures on your wall) whereas the higher frequency models have a higher overall volume level.

If you like to play your movies loud then a 25-31 might suit you better.

Richie-C

Agent
Actually after reading about the SVS subs here, I think I may try one of those over the 2200 but I need to decide which one works best.

Is the Ultra CS with the Samson 1000 amp 20-39 a better choice if I could afford rather than the 20-39 PCI? My room is 14' wide by 17' long with a 10ft ceiling.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I have the SVS 20-39 PCI, and all I can say is WOW!!!!! I really like the sub..looks sweet, and takes up very little room...its hard to beat it at regular price(which I don't think is possible) BUT at that price...its a no brainer...you WONT be sending it back, I'll tell ya that..Email tom/ron, and ask them about it...see what they say about room size, and which would be better...very honest people, and they email ya back quick!! Here is his email: [email protected] tell'em toml sent ya:)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
If you can build a Tempest based sub. DO IT. You won't be disappointed. If you already have the tools $400 to $500 USD will build you a sub that will match an SVS Ultra.

If you can't build I'd give serious consideration to an Adire Allignment Tempest from Acoustic Visions. It will fit within your budget and easily match the sound quality of any SVS and handily beat the output of the PCi and CS+ series.

Martice

Screenwriter
I second that Dustin. I paid about $670.00 completed for my 214L Tempest from Acoustic-Visions and all of my sub requirements have been satisfied. I also own a 70L liter 12" DVC Dayton sub built by Acoustic-Visions as well.
There is also another player in the sub market as well and that's Brian Bunge of Link Removed and although I haven't purchased a sub from him, he did build the cabinets to my wonderful GR Research AV1+'s. He is currently working on a current HTF members 15" Dayton DVC based sub and I'm anxious to get the feedback on his project.
Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks