Which subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by HughScot, Sep 1, 2003.

1. HughScot

HughScot Extra

I would like to know which subwoofer you folks like. I am considering a Velodyne HGS18, Mirage BPS400 or someone here may have a better idea.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Do a search here on SVS or HSU and you will change your mind very fast.

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

You're talking like the HGS18 is chopped liver.

4. Joel~Solid

Joel~Solid Agent

The HGS18 is FAR from chopped liver. BUT....... If I spend the cash for a HGS18 on a comparable SVS sub I would be happy to pocket the extra cash.[​IMG]

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

No Frank the HGS18 is not chopped liver, in fact its a good sub. My point was he could do much better with his money!!!

6. HughScot

HughScot Extra

Thanks guys your input is very interesting. And especially the comments about the SVS sub. This use to be advertised on AVS Forum and now it is over here. Since no magazine reviews these subs and since you can't buy one in a store I have always been cautious about it. If it was as good as some people think I believe Sterophile Mag. would have done a review. Personally I believe the Velodyne HGS18 is one of the finest subs available. But I was wondering if anyone had a Mirage BPS400 for comparison.

Other than price why do you think the SVS is such a great sub?

Hugh

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

8. Frank Carter

IMO the BPS400 is not in the same league as the HGS18, but even the HGS18 can easily be matched and surpassed for a fraction of the price by SVS or Hsu.

What is your budget for a sub? How big is the room?

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I love the audio and theater magazines. In fact I get several myself as I like reading about gear. However it seems they get started on the right track then about a year into it they start vearing off course and down the course of not wanting to tick off their best advertisers. Ever wonder why Def. Tech. is always #1 in Home Theater Mag. Look at the adds and what they must pay for all those full page color puppies...

10. HughScot

HughScot Extra

I do realize where the mags get their money and why they say what they do; however, you can get somewhat of a feel by reading several reviews and then listening to the actual sub in a store. Since you folks are high on the SVS I've written to Ron and I'll be trying one out in a couple of weeks or so. So thanks and believe me I know how one should sound it's just so hard with speakers as everyone hears or listens for different things and they always sound different when you get them home. I'll let everyone know what I think about it when I've heard the SVS.

Hugh

11. Frank Carter

Which SVS are you considering?

12. HughScot

HughScot Extra

Don't know yet as they want some info on my room. I see they have both the cyl and box now so I don't know.

13. terence

terence Supporting Actor

14. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

15. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have got to get an SVS!! But for now my JBL works nicely.

16. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Not to try to "sell" you on anything, but I am totally and utterly thrilled with my new PB2+. Compared to my NHT Super Sub, which I found very boomy and lacking in bottom end, SPL and accuracy, the PB2+ is thoroughly tight, loud, accurate and puts out immense amounts of deep, rich bass.

I'm no expert on the subject, though - the only other subwoofers I auditioned before buying the SVS were the Martin Logan Depth and Descent (the SVS noticeably outperforms the Descent and vastly outperforms the Depth, at least to my ears). What I will tell you is that after buying this sub, I can't imagine needing to upgrade it or even wanting to audition another sub any time in the forseeable future.