Which Subwoofer for HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-e-s, Apr 25, 2002.

1. John-e-s

John-e-s Auditioning

I have four Def tech power towers (2002x2, 2006x2), BP2Xs for rears, and a 2002 center. I am a newbie, but after reading multiple submissions, it appears that I will purchase a sub for HT. Which sub? My room is relatively large. With the return of some loaned money, price is not too much of a consideration (to a degree of course). I realize there are as many opinions as listeners, but are there some obvious moderate to high-end choices I should or should not consider? Also, would most people then suggest running the def techs as small and lowering the crossover a bit, or running as large and raising the crossover a bit for HT, with large setting and no sub for music? My receiver is a B&K 307AVR. Thank you.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Could you be more specific on room size and price range.

Are we talking $1000-$2000USD, $3000USD plus or more? Is room size around 3500ft^3 or are we talking 6000+ ft^3?

3. John-e-s

John-e-s Auditioning

Thank you. Cubic feet approx 4,500-5,000. Price range--would be nice to stay below 1,500.00, though for the right sound I would go higher. JS

4. Brian Burnaby

Brian Burnaby Auditioning

I'm going through a similar process. I recently purchased PsB Image 5T's, and intend on adding the matching surround and center soon, but I am still undecided on which subwoofer. I currently am in a modest sized apartment (concrete thank god [​IMG] ) but I have plans of moving into a house within the next couple of years. Thus I want a sub that I won't outgrow when I put in a larger room. (within reasonable limits of course).
    I was considering the Paradigm pw-2200 as a quick first choice, but I still can't decide whether to go for a ported, band-pass,or closed box. (Those are the only options right?) I plan on using it mostly for home theater I guess, assuming my Image 5T's are providing me with enough bass extension for music. Any thoughts on this?
    I'm interested in how this thread unfolds. I'm curious about other peoples opinions on this stuff.
    Brian

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd be considering two options then.
    I'd be getting in touch with Kyle at Acoustic Visions. I'd go with a pair of his Adire Alignment Vented Tempests ($610USD, add more if you want an exotic finish, plus shipping). Or give him your room dimensions, budget and goals and he'll come up with a costum design for you. Add a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (~$140USD) to tame any room modes and you'll be set. Do a search on this forum for Acoustic Visions and you will find a bunch of happy costumers you can speak to (of which I'm one, but I just bought parts as I did the enclosure building myself)
    or
    Dual SVS 20-39CS+/S1000 package ($1500USD plus shipping). Then add the BFD or the Art351 equalizer SVS sells.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Brian, stay far away from bandpass. Vented (also passive radiator, which is just a different way to do the same thing) and sealed are your two options. There are a bunch of variations on both though.
    If you can swing it, try and get a place that would allow you to build something like this:
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html
    From all accounts nothing can touch an infinite baffel. And you can go crazy with it if you wish [​IMG]
    http://t-3.cc/users/kloneaudio/page13-12Shiva1.html

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

8. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

For a little more, the SVS Ultra package sounds great with movies and music. My set up (2 Ultra's + Sampson 1000 amp) cost $2295. For my room (3000 cubic feet), I probably could have gotten away with only one Ultra (but I didn't know at the time). Your room is considerably bigger, though.

9. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I wanted a sub that performed well enough to fill most rooms easily without going broke in the process. I personally went the custom sub route and gave Kyle at Acoustic Visions and never looked back. Infact I bought 2 subs from him. I have a 214L Adire Audio Tempest (15" driver) based sub that leaves me never wanting for that good low stuff and it cost me about $670.00 for it completed. If you're looking for some good bass input you've come to the right place and should go home a happy camper with whatever choice you make.