Which sub???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I'm putting together my home theater now and can't decide on a sub. I am putting together a system with all paradigm speakers(cc170, 2phantoms, 2atoms) and am going to use the denon 1802 reciever. But the sub I can't decide on. I am looking at both the svs 25-31cs or the adire audio rava. I am leaning toward the rava because of its incredible value, but was wondering how much of a difference there is between subs? Has anyone owned both or ever compared them before, any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nick L

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Between those two, I'd take the Rava. If you were getting the 20-39CS and had something to power it with, then I'd go with that. But between the Rava and the 25-31, IMO, the Rava is the way to go.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I won't comment on the subjective differences, but I'd estimate that the 25-31 would have much more output below 30Hz. This might be something to consider, since it's a home theater system. If you happen to have an amp (you didn't mention the powered SVS), it's also cheaper. In a smallish room, though, a sealed Shiva (Rava) is an excellent all-around performer.

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I don't happen to have an amp so I would have to add that. I also live in an appartment so if its too loud(who am I kidding too loud?) I could get into some trouble. The rava is looking very attractive. anyone that owns one...do they go low. Low enough for movies? It is going to be used in a 60/40 movies/music mix so I could get a ported sub if it would be better for movies.

Thanks for the help

Nick L

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

If you know you want to go with a ported sub and you've got some more money to spend on amplification then the 25-31 is the obvious answer.

But if money is tight or you think you might be satisfied by a sealed sub then don't worry too much about buying the Rava. It's a terrific value - the driver and plate amp would cost you $300 if you bought them seperately. If you find yourself wanting a little more bass (after you move out of the appartment?) you could try building a vented cabinet and cannibalizing the driver and amp from the Rava.