What's new

Which sub would you take? (1 Viewer)

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
I recently changed subs from an SVS to an velo HGS-18 - My room is only 10X24 - DO you think I am overdoing it? I wanted to get the best sub I could for under $2500 and the SVS's were to tall for my room. The HGS is a monster but how does the following compare to it?

HGS-15

HGS-12

Servo 15

Pair of Sunfire Signatures

Pair of Klipsch lf10's (can get two for $1200 new)

Martin Logan Decsent

Cost is no concern as I would go up to $3000. I just want the best sub for my room - and I am afraid I overdid it with the 18. Its AWESOME but could i get the same amount of bass from any of the above? Some would be cheaper, all would be smaller. I have two more weeks on my trial period with the 18. Which would you take from the above if you had a 10X24 room?

My system is

Denon 5800

Def Tech 2000TL's

Def Tech BP30's

Def Tech 2500 center

HGS-18

Just curious on others opinions.

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
I think you got the right sub. Did you read the sub shoot out at Secrets?

ToddJoseph

Stunt Coordinator
I second that!!!! Too tall???? It all depends if you want it too tall or too wide and bulky like your Velodynes. My friend you had the best sub on the MKT.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
It would apear now that you have had two of the best subs out there. IMO..
I think only you can make the call in which you prefer.
As far as the other subs mentioned, they all fall to the side of what you are compareing them to, IMO...
Sounds as though at your room size, you have more than enough woofage. *OMG*
If more room and less sub space requirments are a priority, than the others you mention will help in that quest, but will you be satisfied with thier performance, well thats your debate. There are always trade offs and this apears to one that only you can make that call. I think you have the best over all sub currantly. IMO
As far as out put, Someone with Tom N numbers may be able to provide a link. But even if two of the other can give you the output you have currantly, will it be as accurate and pleaseing as what your are running now or what you moved from. I doubt it. IMO
Try a search for the {Tom N data list} and compare freq output spl data. Others may chime with more concrete information dealing with your choices.
Hello Tom and Ron!
If you can live with the size of the monster your running, I say you got one of the best built & preforming subs out there. And you moved from my other choice, SVS, due to your reasons stated. I think from your selection above, any move would be one that goes backwards in ways of performance and accuracy, for the gain of more room or looks. There is always a trade off it seems, nothing ever seems fair....
Good luck
Geoff

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! Yea, last night I watched JPIII and decided the HGS-18 is the one for me!

BTW, before selling my SVS's, I did a comparison between the dual SVS and HGS-18 and a single SVS against the HGS-18 - The dual was LOUD but not nearly as detailed and clean as the HGS-18 - in music and movies - The single SVS was no match at all for the HGS-18 - I had the single SVS all the way turned up and the output was maybe half of the HGS with the volume at 4 - Ill be keeping the HGS-18. It did cost me $500 more than the dual SVS 20-39's, but its a GREAT sub. Thanks again for the comments.

Keep in mind I had the regular SVS pair, not the Ultra.

I did see the sub shootout, very good article. I was considering the Klipsch RSW 15 but after that review I decided against it.

My room is very narrow (10FT) and i have a 100" screen up, so this is why the SVS did not work out. Ipurchased them before the room was built.

John H

Second Unit
My room is only 10X24 - DO you think I am overdoing it?
I guess that would depend on how loud you listen to material and if you require reference level bass.
I use a pair of HGS-18's in a 2048 cu ft bedroom.
TV sugested 4 SVS tubes as an option but they would not fit.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks