What's new

Which Sub Would You Choose ? (1 Viewer)

EYESPORTS

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
I have a 20 ft x 27 ft room

I am purchasing:

Ascend Acoustics 340 center channel plus 340 right and left (main) speakers.
Will have 7.1 surround sound (mostly for Home Theater - some music as well)

Question is which sub woofer to get:

Choices:
(1) SVS PB12NSD
(2) HSU VTF3

Please help with sub woofer opinions. Thanks !

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve been playing around with a PB12-NSD here for the past month or so, and I’ve been really impressed with it. I have a humongous (sp?) 9300 cu. ft. room, and it gets down to 18 Hz or so with decent dynamics on scenes like the finger drop in the first chapter of the first LOTR movie. Based on that, there’s every reason to expect it will be totally killer in a more normal-sized room.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
PB12/Plus2, that is a large room. my room is that size- a few feet and i run a PLus2. SVS recommended this size Sub for me and i am very happy with it. i also did tell them i like it loud and wanted chest pounding bass.

timZa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

Just curious, how high do you run your gain on the NSD?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I know the NSD is too small for the room, but fortunately, I didn’t buy it, it’s a loaner. Can’t give that “hit in the chest” effect, but it’s still an impressive performer even in this room. I’ve been keeping the gain stays at about 12-2:00.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
EYESPORTS

I would save up for a little while longer and get the SVS PB-12 NSD/2. $200 more than the Hsu VTF-3MKII, the NSD/2 will give you that added oomph for a large room, and hold you for a good long time.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard both, and if that is what you are limited to, I'd probably go with the VTF-3, however I would recommend you follow the other's advice and save for the Plus/2 or at the very least a Plus.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Also, how loud do you listen to movies?

I have a 6300 Cubic Ft basement. I bought the SVS-PC+. It's hits pretty good, but I'd like to have the 2nd driver... I'd recommend you get the Plus/2, but it may not be in your price range...

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
My PB12-NSD will be here today for a side by side comparison w/ the PB10-NSD that I got last month for my 2200 cubic ft. room. I'll keep the PB12 if it's a significant step up. And I'll let you know how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks