What's new

Which sub setup would be better? (1 Viewer)

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
Mr. Warrick
Thankyou for the compliment.
That DVD/CD stand is also built by me. I've built all my speakers and entertainment center (including fireplace surround). I build a lot of things. Great hobby.
The stand is 3/4" pine and 1/2" dowels with sliding seperators. Quite a simple project and quite effective.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Michael H.

I also went their and SAW your very nice layout... Like that top on your tempest, hell like the whole sub design!

Interested in your speaker stands that you, (as mentioned above) incorperated into your center unit.

Did you build the pillars or is it a castng of plaster or something similar found at plant center or something???

Sorry to get "slightly of topic" guys but Mike has no PM or email set up so had to post in hopes he will see this and be kind enough to answer our questions.

Regard
Geoff

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff L
The stand pillars are made of 3/4" MDF and then fluted with a router. I used some moldings to dress it up. The legs (base) and column pieces are cut as one piece. I then finished it with a speckled rock look finish available in spray bombs (available at hardware stores). I finished the top with a tile piece to match the entertainment stand top and fireplace mantle.
hope that made sense.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Mike,

Yes it makes sense, very very nice job!

The pillar and center stand bomb spray can color lets your wood speaks & sub wood color and grain really stand out.

Welcome by the way! I see your newly registered as of yesterday.
Great people here, I think you will enjoy the Forum very much.

Regards
Geoff

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Ok guys, I would want a box that is relatively small. Do I have any good options for a 12inch sub(I was thinking the Shiva) and enclosure(sealed) for $350 Canadian, or is my budget too small to get a good DIY sub? At this price will I be better off with the Sony or DIY? Would a 120 watt (60 watt x 2) be enough muscle to power a 12inch small enclosure sub? Thanks for all the answers so far.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Justin, that should be good. A sealed Shiva with 120W will certainly outperform the Sony sub, especially in terms of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks