which sub route would be best?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Donnie M, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

I'm piecing together a beginner home theater system for gaming, movies, and music. 70/20/10 - gaming/movies/music

I'll be taking the system to college with me in the fall. At that point it'll probably be more like 40/30/30 - gaming/movies/music.

I built a custom sub enclosure for my car, so I'm no stranger to the process. I love deep bass and would rather have that over loud bass.

Sooo, what would be better for my application?

1. Build a sub enclosure, buy a driver, and buy an amp

or

2. Buy a powered sub and call it a day

Total budget: $200-300

My system won't be extravagant; it's just my first attempt, so I'm not looking to spend like $600 or anything.

If you guys need any more info on what the other equipment will be or whatever, just let me know.

Thanks for any suggestions![​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

As far as bang-for-the-buck goes, DIY is probably the way to go. The $200-$300 range is difficult with subs because you are just below some of the really good subs (entry-level SVS and Hsu). I would go DIY in your situation since you've got some experience or save up a little and get one of the lower-end SVS or Hsu subs.

3. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that DIY would be the way to go. I would probably do a cylinder made out of Sonotube or something, which would be very simple and pretty inexpensive.

I also re-thought my price range, realizing that it's pretty low. I realized I spent like $400 on the sub, box, and amp for my car, so I should probably be looking to spend about that much for the house as well.

What are the favorite brands for DIY drivers in home theater right now? I know Dayton, SVS, and Hsu are good from reading around, but what else would you guys suggest?

I could name a dozen companies that are good for DIY car audio, but I'm not sure what performance differences are desired/expected when working with home audio.

Can anyone educate me as to what you want when building a DIY home sub, as well as the good brands?

Thanks everyone.

4. brendy

brendy Agent

Go to the Secrets of Home Theatre & High Fidelity site.On the bottom of the page they have a DIY link under Master Index.There you will find a complete article on a DIY sub using Sonotube and a HSU driver.

5. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

Nice link, thanks Brendy. That's pretty much what I had in mind.

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

7. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

PR's have always intrigued me, and that's a helluva price for both the woofer and the PR. Are you recommending from experience? If so, what do you think of them?

8. Donnie M

Donnie M Extra

What drivers would you guys recommend in the price range of the 12" Dayton, Shiva, AV12, the above GR, etc??