What's new

Which Sub....Plk psw650, Ini Alpha 1200, or Ini Intermezzo 1.2? (1 Viewer)

ShaneHo

Auditioning
Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been a lurker for about a month. I am currently a disgruntled CC employee, and if you have followed the news at all around Feb 5 you would know why.

Well anyways, I consider myself very knowledgeable about HT but I am by no means an expert.

My setup for speakers will be as follows...
Polk CSI 40 for center channel
Polk RTI 70 towers for fronts
And for the rears I am still undecided....
Leaning towards Polk FxI 50's
but debating about RTI 30's or 28's

Is the Dipole/Bipole feature worth it???

Also on the receiver I am leaning towards a Harman Kardon AVR 525 or 325 7.1 channel

Also cant decide whether I should go with an Onkyo TXSR 700 or 800 receiver but I think I want the HK

Now on to my main question....Which sub should I get...

I have not had the chance to audition the Polk PSW 650 with dual 10" drivers nor have I been able to find much information or reviews about it. So that is the least probable sub I will get unless i hear some favorable reviews...But we do have the Polk PSW 404 sub set up in our store and it does not impress me at all...more below

For about $80 more I can get the Infinity Alpha 1200 sub which is 500 watts. We dont have that in our store either but we do have an Infinity Entra Sub Two set up which is 250 watts and it blows the Polk PSW 404 away in my opinion...So i am assuming the extra $80 will be worth it for the Alpha 1200. As another option I can get the Entra Sub 2 for about the same money as the Polk 650.

Also on the plate today I found an Infinity sub on their accomodation website that they must want to get rid of. It is an INTERMEZZO 1.2S 850 watt (RMS) sub that I can get for about $150 more than the Alpha 1200 sub. Im thinking that if the accomodation is left on their site that is the one I will get.

What are your opinions???

Thanks very much in advance....By the way I will be getting this stuff on accomodations so I am getting it very cheap, but the Intermezzo sub might blow the budget.

DerrickW

Stunt Coordinator
I've listened to those Polk speakers and the center and RTi70 are pretty good (the 70 is much cleaner than the 100). Some things to consider though: 1) getting both the FX and a bookshelf for a 7.1 setup? 2) getting the RTi150 instead of the 70 since it sounded much much better to me.

Personally I think the AVR 525 would match well with those speakers, and is clearly a step up from the 325.

I happen to have the PSW 650 sub. Even though it is a dual 10", it has a smaller amp than the newer 404. However, I thought that the sub sounded horrible in the CC 'demo' room. They are generally very poorly done. It is quite musical and clean when properly setup and broken in (which was not the case at CC). So I would recommend it. However, I would highly suggest going with SVS, HSU, Adire, or even building yourself instead of the options you gave. Spend the money on the RTi150 towers and the AVR 525, then add a sub later. The 150s have MUCH better bass response than the 70s and you may not even want a sub after getting everything setup at home.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Shane,

Derrick gave you some good choices I have heard nothing but good things about the SVS and the HSU sub. With the choices you mentioned, I would go for the Intermezzo if I had the money. I wish I could afford it. Its an excellent sub. Another option you might consider is the now discontinues IL120S. A very nice sub and if you use the RABOS kit, will sound great IMHO. It can be had on ebay for about $400. The Intermezzo will still be the best sub of any of these IMHO. BTW, let me know what you can get in 1.2 for and if you deside not to get it, I may be interested.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks