Which sub for under $150-$175?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott McC., Jan 12, 2003.

1. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

The topic pretty much says it all. My reciever is an Onkyo SR-500, and my front speakers are paradigm mini monitors, which really need a sub. I only have around $150 to buy a sub, but I may be able to save another $25. The two that I am currently looking at are the Sony SA-WM40, and the Parts Express DLS 10".

2. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

If i were looking for a sub on the cheap i would go DIY!!! Box would be around 20 bucks....(and would be BETTER than anything in the premade at that price). Then search out a driver and a 250 sub amp...total might get a LITTLE over $200 but would be fun and well worth the xtra expense.

3. Art Harris

Art Harris Auditioning

Check out Costco. They have a KLH sub - 120 watt 10" for $99. I put one in my basement exercise room and it works. Actually, it works pretty good.

Art

4. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Scott,
    Allot of people here cannot probably find a good cost sub for less then 200.00 or less. As like Art said KLH they seem to sound not bad, but one I highly recommend that has great sound with clean bass is the DCM line of Subs.
    I own the TB1 10" sub and I love it. I have it set at about 50Hz on the amp and the power to about halfway and its got a clean low punch that will hit you hard when watchin an movie gives a great clean rumble. If I remeber correct I paid about 200.00 for it last year. Check it out.
    http://www.dcmspeakers.com/subwoofer/tb1.cfm

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Check out the 8 page DLS vs. WM 40 thread. The only problem is that the DLS subs are apparently backordered.

6. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Audiosource sw15 15inch 200watt 169.00 delivered from amazon.com For less than 200.00 bucks it cant be beat. A little boomy but a little polyfill and that's taken care of.

7. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

Rodney beat me to the post... I was just going to say, check out the Audiosource SW15. Do some searches on it here as well. Someone here went a step beyond the polyfill and upgraded the driver with a Parts Express 15" DVC and had great results, too.

-Mike

8. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Hey Michael, I just checked Amazon and they have the sw15 listed as not stocked or discontinued. next would be ubid.com