Which sub driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon B, May 26, 2001.

1. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I will be building one or two "few holds barred" subs later this summer and wanted opinions on drivers. I have been leaning towards the Mass 2012's (or maybe the newer 3012's when they are available), but since the preorders for Stryke HE15's is tomorrow, I need to sort of make this decision now.
    The price difference is not really an issue, but enclosure size is somewhat. Since the Stryke is a larger driver, its enclosures will be larger, but what would using it get me over the Mass drivers?
    I am looking to make real "bottom feeders", tuned flat to 16 or maybe 14 Hz. SPLs are third priority after flat response and low tuning. Room is not huge, 15Wx35LX9H, with some doorway openings to other rooms/stairway. I'm rarely going to be at reference levels, and the sub(s) will be handling the LFE and bass from surrounds and rears in a 7.1, or sometimes augmenting 2 channel music (50/50 useage).
    I will make either one dual driver sub (I know twice as large) or if it is just to huge in meeting all my goals, then 2 single driver units. Anything over a 24" sonotube 6 feet high will probably begin to attract my wife's attention.
    Advice? Thanks!
    This is all unless I miraculously find the $2800 or so I would need to buy a pair of SVS CS Ultras lying in the gutter.
    BB
    "Yes, a joke. Come, we will laugh in the car."

2. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Well if you went with the Stryke, then the sonotube idea would be out the door altogether, wouldnt it?(if they CAN be downfiring...then someone correct me [​IMG]) Also, since you dont seem to be worried about cost, you could use dual drivers in a isobaric configuration to cut down on box size...

3. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Right, I had forgotten the stryke was forward firing only. Decision made. Thanks.
    BB
    "Yes, a joke. Come, we will laugh in the car."