What's new

Which sub are you using in your Auto? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I'm replacing the factory HU in my car with a Kenwood eXcelon X859 to get CD/MP3 playback and would like to add a sub and amp to drive it.

What are you guys usng in your vehicles?
I was thinking maybe one of those Hsu car subs in an enclosure but don't see them listed on the Hsu website.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My car is using a single 15" adire audio tempest driver in a 5 cubic foot box tuned to 24hz. Powered by 600w rms.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I have two Image Dynamics ID10s, each in their own 1 cu.ft. tube, powered by an MTX amp(each getting ~100watts RMS). Sounds great for 10s. I am going for SQ not SPL.

Eric Massey

Agent
Two Audiomobile sealed MASS 2012's, powered by a 500 watt phoenix gold amp. I think SVS was going to use these drivers in one of their higher end subs, but they changed their mind later on for some reason.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Jeff, The Image Dynamics look interesting. Are 2 10's better performers than 1 12". Did you make your own tubes or buy them?

Thanks for the responses guys.
Are the ID's and Kickers the best for sound quality?
Which amps do you reccommend without going overboard? I would think 150-200W@4ohms would be plenty. If I could find a 4 channel amp that would do 40-60 watts on 2 channels for the front and bridge the remaining 2 for the sub, that would be great. I'd use the HU to drive the rears.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
i have a infinity perfect in a 1.25 cube box run by a cadence Q3000 300w@4ohm, i would highly reccomend this setup to anyone who wants a mix of sq and spl, make sure you're gonna replace the speakers also, if you have the money get a component set for the front, i have a pair of focal polykevlar series components run by another cadence Q3000 running at 100x2 @ 4ohms, i'm using a $450 alpine reciever

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
2 12" Rockford Fosgate Series 1's (yeah they are OLD) in a
3.0 Cu Ft Sealed Enclosure in the back of my Stratus.. Wired
Paralell to my Sherwood XAT 120-Q Running Bridged (yeah it's
OLD too!)
Hey it works.. :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
JL Audio 12W3, dual voice coil, in a ported 2.5cf box, pushed with a Fosgate Power 500. Great SQ.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
3 10 inch JL Audio 10 W3's. 4 ohm dual voice coils. They are powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX 600TI amp. This set up is amazing! I have been into car audio for 12 years and have used 10's the entire time. Not to say 12's or 15's are sloppy but IMO 10's move quicker are more detailed and they give me that punch me in the chest, hard quick hitting bass. Very accurate subs. So to answer your question, 2 10's of the exact same sub would sound better than 1 12. I know my set up my be a little more than what you are looking for but look at 2 JL Audio 10 inch 10 W0 subs. I used to run those in my Camaro and they also sounded great. Very inexpensive sub but high on sound quality. They are very efficient subs and do not require a lot of power to run them. Look at the Phoenix Gold QX 180.2 for the amp. Another inexpensive amp with very good build quality. This set up with products installation and having them build you the box should only run you $550-$600. Another plus about JL subs is they require very small enclosures.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Gil, I don't know how they'd compare to one 12". The 10's I have are the lowest ID series, but still are amazing performers. I purchased both for $110 from another HTF member. Great deal!

The enclosures are actually sono-tubes on their sides. If you go to the diy section of HTF and look for these sono's, you'll see what I mean. They both have endcaps on each end that overhang the actual tube by one inch(14" in diameter). Some of the easiest enclosures I've ever made. I just used Quickcrete tubes from Home Depot. I also built stands for them, otherwise they'd roll around.

I'll try to get some pics of them and e-mail them to you. Let me know if you'd want some pics!

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
"1. Image Dynamics IDMax"
Dayum Trey!!
Link Removed
Im ordering a pair of 2ohm 12" IDQ's
You cant beat Image Dynamics for small enclosure subs!

KyleGS

Second Unit
The Image Dynamics IDQ's also sound amazing (if not better SQ) when ported. I ported my IDQv2 12" and it sounds great. The box is only 1.5cf and cost me less then $150. If you have higher aspirations I suggest the Image Dynamics IDMAX. Go to sounddomain.com and check them out. G'luck

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
========================================
Work truck, single cab.
2-10" Jensen Titanimn, 2-Sealed 1.25ft^3 cabnits 100% stuffed.
Legacy 1200 Bridged about 200 clean aside 4-0hm @ 14.2 volts.. :) All considered junk but don't sound bad at all...
Surprised a few when they saw what was behind the seat....
Toy 69-RSZ28
~"From 2-12" SPL Mules Ported to"~
2-12" Original SVS drivers, 2-Sealed 1.65ft^3 ~ 50 to 60% stuffed cabinets, Sherwood Pro AM-III Bridged to 500 clean a side 4-ohm....
SQ is very nice ~ The SVS drivers for 45.00 smakers apiece, thank you sellers! :emoji_thumbsup:
Regards
Geoff

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has a pair of the Comp 12s in his Jetta. 2 cuft sealed enclosure. Ecliplse amp, not sure which one, around 300 watts. Very tight, accurate, deep and powerful. He paid the original price and is happy. At the closeout prices they're crazy good. He used them to replace a pair of JLs and these are way better. Only $75 each!
subwoofers.cc

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
For subs, I have a single JL Audio 12W3 in a sealed enclosure, with roughly 1.5' of airspace (not including woofer displacement), powered with a Xtant 3300 amp (runs the entire system) and a PQM1 single band parametric EQ tuning it. Sounds wonderful, not boomy at all, very accurate, and loud enough to overcome the car and ambient noise. The key in cars is sound deadening. It also helps that the car is a hatchback.
In my other car, with a trunk, 2 el-cheapo Rockford 10" woofers in a prefab enclosure powered by a RF 5 channel amp. It's sound for the beater car. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks