Which Sub? ($200)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tim Jin, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I need to get a powered subwoofer. I have narrow it down to
    JBL PB10 and Polk PSW202

Which is the better sub?

2. Fred G

Fred G Agent

I'm not sure if your options are still open, but I've heard good things about the Velodyne and Dayton subwoofers.

3. Kyle H

Kyle H Agent

JBL 12" 250w are around $200
    search around for it!

4. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I just got a Dayton 10" sub yesterday.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=122583&DID=7
    It's very clean and tight not boomy at all. I was tempted to go for the psw202 because it was on sale in my neighbourhood.
    I was reading posts that knew the Dayton was the better sub so I went for it.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Go with the Tiny Mighty until you upgrade. (Dayton)

6. Kevin L K

Kevin L K Second Unit

Believe it or not one of these is actually very good for the money[​IMG]

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

SA-WM40 was a very good option last year for entry level setups, now discontinued and replaced by SA-WM500.

Also you might check SA-WX700 which you can get for $200.

8. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

If you can come up with a few more bucks the JBL PB12 which is being clearanced out of Best Buy for $256 is quite a performer , looks good and is not too big....make sure and buy the ESP for an extra $30-$40 though.
    Id go as far as the say that the PB12 @ this price is going to be one of the best subwoofers you can buy until you get into the larger volume vented units you can build yourself or buy from SVS or some of Velodyne's spendier subs.
    The difference between the PB10 and PB12 is huge but the PB10 is still better than the Sony 12"er.

9. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

10. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Add the words "in my opinion" to the end of my last post. [​IMG]

Edit:
    And for reference to the poster , I have owned both the PB12 and SA-WM40 ...IMO the PB12 is 10x the subwoofer. It goes VERY loud and could give a Shiva in a similar sized box and tuning a run for its money.

I should make a list of all the subwoofers I have owned but I dont have an hour to spare right now. [​IMG]

11. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Thanks for all of your help. I'm also considering Veldyne VX10 . What do you guys think?

I live on the top floor and have hardwood flooring. I have people below me. Front firing sub with be nice because I don't want to bother my neighbors too much.

12. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, I have the Polk PSW202 (and RM-6005 surround speakers) connected to a Denon AVR-2803, with sources fron a Dish Network satelitte reciever, Sony DVD & CD Mega changers (at least 3 units connected via digital outputs). The Polk is sitting midway between a 10ft x 16ft carpeted room and I am getting amazing bass from all sources! If I would change anything, it would be the sourrounds spkrs later. Various types of music from rock, jazz, vocals, r&b & dance are delivered just right!

13. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Heard good things about the Sony SA-WM40 and Velodyne subs. I was considering a CHT-8 myself but I went with the Energy S8.2 for the size (I live in a apartment) plus it was cheaper than the Velodyne CHT-8. If you are willing to spend a little more over your original budget, you should give it some serious consideration. The bass is fast and tight for music and has enough power to rumble your HT. You can grab it for $240 at AudioExcellence.This quote from Cnet's review basically sums up my thoughts on the S8.2.

14. Brad-L

Brad-L Auditioning

Im in the same price range for a sub and considering the same options.

Does anyone have any imput on the Fluance subwoofer for $200? fluance.com/fldbposu.html

15. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

Polk subs rattle a lot. Sony's aren't worth the money. Velodyne is nice, but with that budget you can kiss that name goodbye.

I second the option to go with the JBL sub from Best Buy, and I also double triple quadruple the statement about getting the extended warranty. It's funny when people come in and think they're "smart consumers" when they cut off the sales person and say, "Yeah and I DON'T want the extended warranty". Yeah real good buddy, but when you come back in a month because the manufacturer's limited warranty didn't cover that "one little part" that broke, all we do is smile and say, "I'm sorry, but our return policy only covers 30 days, which is why our associate offered you the extended warranty"

16. Fred G

Fred G Agent

Mando, do you work at best buy? Are the JBL subs prone to breaking? Because I would think the most common thing to go on a sub is the amp, which should be covered under the warranty.

17. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Another vote for this Sony entry; SA-WM40 , own one & love if ot the $. These can still be found in inventory around, or eBay.

18. KurtW

KurtW Stunt Coordinator

Interesting that you should post this - I was in the same boat up until a week ago. I upgraded from a Polk 10" sub, and was looking for something a bit more substantial for home theater and music.

I listened to the JBL, but I too have heard all the stories of the failing amps. The sub sounded good though, and got loud enough to suit my needs, but I checked into a few others anyway. The Klipsch 12" (the Best Buy special) sounded pretty good as well, but it was a tad out of my budget. Heard the Velodyne, which unfortunately did nothing for me (could have been the listening enviroment in which it was demo'd, but I didn't care for it at all).

I ended up getting the Sony WA500. It was cheap enough (ended up getting a good deal at the local Best Buy) and it sounded great for home theater and good enough for music that I went for it.

It's no SVS (which I was all set to buy, before an Olhausen 8' jumped out in front of me [​IMG] ) but it sounds pretty darn good for the money.

... my 2 cents.

19. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

Tim,
    How about the cambridge soundworks 15" sub .
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3275
    "openbox/Refurbished" on ebay down to 27hz 150 watts for $240 plus shipping. I love mine. It's a better option than the ones you mentioned.

BTW- Don't put a powered sub on a hardwood floor. Do yourself a favor and get an area rug. I can almost bet my life you will hate the bass response. Also don't forget BASS is a feel not really a sound thing. So any powered subwoofer has the potential to piss off your neighbors wether they are below or above you.

Just my 2 cents
    Ed O'Neill

20. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Thanks Ed. Now, I'm thinking about getting the Klipsch KSW-10/12 or JBL E150P or their 12".