What's new

Which studios still release widescreen DVDs without 16:9 enhancement or rather don't? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I hope the subject line makes sense.

I tend to pre-order DVDs as soon as they're announced but sometimes end up having to wait a month or 2 until I can confirm whether or not 16:9 enhancement will be included.

Often enough titles are announced in OAR with no mention of being 16:9 enhanced but end up being enhanced anyway. Can I assume that certain studios always enhance their DVDs these days or will they do it for some titles & not others?

I know Criterion were slow to catch on with enhancing their DVDs and wondered if Videodrome will be in 16:9 or are they still putting some stuff out without enhancement?

Same goes for MGM, most stuff is 16:9 but there are titles I see on the net that don't mention this.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I hope the subject line makes sense.

I tend to pre-order DVDs as soon as they're announced but sometimes end up having to wait a month or 2 until I can confirm whether or not 16:9 enhancement will be included.

Often enough titles are announced in OAR with no mention of being 16:9 enhanced but end up being enhanced anyway. Can I assume that certain studios always enhance their DVDs these days or will they do it for some titles & not others?

I know Criterion were slow to catch on with enhancing their DVDs and wondered if Videodrome will be in 16:9 or are they still putting some stuff out without enhancement?

Same goes for MGM, most stuff is 16:9 but there are titles I see on the net that don't mention this.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Typically the only movies you'll see anymore that are non 16x9 widescreen transfers are ones that are either re-packaging of old releases, or recycled Laserdisc transfers.

Ransom seems to be the worst violator since it was called a special edition with new supplements, yet it retained the original non 16x9 widescreen transfer from the original DVD.

MGM does it occasionally with some cheap, barebones releases of movies in low-demand. I think some studios just feel as though there isn't any money to be made off a particular title, so they want to spend as little as possible to get it to DVD.

Other than BV and MGM, I can't think of any other major studio who has done this in the last couple years.

Edit: Oh, theres still some studios who won't 16x9 enhance 1.66:1 movies. Im pretty sure MGM and Anchor Bay do this even if its a new transfer.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Typically the only movies you'll see anymore that are non 16x9 widescreen transfers are ones that are either re-packaging of old releases, or recycled Laserdisc transfers.

Ransom seems to be the worst violator since it was called a special edition with new supplements, yet it retained the original non 16x9 widescreen transfer from the original DVD.

MGM does it occasionally with some cheap, barebones releases of movies in low-demand. I think some studios just feel as though there isn't any money to be made off a particular title, so they want to spend as little as possible to get it to DVD.

Other than BV and MGM, I can't think of any other major studio who has done this in the last couple years.

Edit: Oh, theres still some studios who won't 16x9 enhance 1.66:1 movies. Im pretty sure MGM and Anchor Bay do this even if its a new transfer.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Videodrome is anamorphic per Criterion's specs on their web site. There have been a few exceptions (such as the Bruce Robinson films), but Criterion has pretty much enhanced eveything intended for 1.66:1 or wider aspect ratios for a number of years now.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Videodrome is anamorphic per Criterion's specs on their web site. There have been a few exceptions (such as the Bruce Robinson films), but Criterion has pretty much enhanced eveything intended for 1.66:1 or wider aspect ratios for a number of years now.

Regards,

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
MGM and Warner won't 16x9 enhance 1.66:1... which is pretty stupid to me.
But Anchor Bay does it (sometimes) : Ilsa movies, Fright, Eyewitness, The Devil Rides Out, ...

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
MGM and Warner won't 16x9 enhance 1.66:1... which is pretty stupid to me.
But Anchor Bay does it (sometimes) : Ilsa movies, Fright, Eyewitness, The Devil Rides Out, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks