What's new

Which story in Creepshow did you enjoy the least? (1 Viewer)

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
It seems the general sentiment is that
THE LONESOME DEATH OF JORDY VERRILL is the weakest segment.However, for me thats when the fun really started, I found the first tale- FATHER'S DAY to be dull and contrived. Listing the stories on an enjoyment scale of 1-5 with 1 being the lowest degree of enjoyment and
5 being the highest - I rate them as follows:

*FATHER'S DAY : 1.5 (If not for getting a good laugh out of seeing Ed Harris disco dancing I would have given it a 1.)

*THE LONESOME DEATH OF JORDY VERRILL : 3.5

*SOMETHING TO TIDE YOU OVER : 4

*THE CRATE : 5

*THEY'RE CREEPING UP ON YOU : 2.5 ( probably worth a 3, but for me The Crate set the bar so high that it left this segment to pale in comparison, and as the closer it left me unsatisfied.)

By the way, I thought Stephen King did a really, really good acting job.I saw this movie for the first time last week (how I managed not to see it all these years remains a mystery to me) and I had the privilege of not
knowing that Stephen King was Jordy Verrill; I say privilege because I was able to objectively view the segment without the usual "hey that's so and so" and thus go through a process of association before I'm able to "accept" them as the character they are playing. More so in the case of Stephen King who is not an actor by trade, I would have found myself
analyzing his performance - thus removing me one step from the story.

So when I read a review on the film after I'd watched it I was surprised to learn that King was Jordy Verrill, even if I'd known - I'd still have the same opinion, but it was cool to have a virgin approach. Needless to say
I found the character completely convincing, despite when he was just "some actor" in my mind, or now that I know it is Stephen King.

P.S.- All opinions welcome.

StevenA

Second Unit
I love this movie, but have no time to respond properly now. Yes, The Crate is the best, IMHO, but I find Jordy Verrill strangely moving! :)

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Lonesome Death is my absolute fave. I couldn't even tell you why for sure, but it's damn funny.

"Meteor shit!" and "Aw, Jordy Verrill, you done it this time you lunk-head!" both spring to mind. :D

Father's Day - 2
Jordy - 5
Creeping - 2
Crate - 5
Tide - 4

And for what it's worth...

Indian - 3
Raft - 5
Hitchhiker - 3

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Father's Day is one of my favorite shorts of all time. I love the wickedly spoiled family dynamic, and to this day I walk around my house asking, "Where's my cake? Where's my father's day cake?" (And nobody really knows why I do it.) It'd be difficult for me to say which of the segments is my least favorite...

"Creeping" always felt a little anti-climatic to me, and it would be the weakest except that I am creeped out by bugs and OCD so I can really relate to what the guy is going through. I hate to say it, but I'd probably call Jordy's my least favorite because he is so, so, so stupid.

richardWI

Second Unit
The quick fade out at the end of "The Raft" justifies the entire Creepshow series IMO. That has to be one of the coolest endings I've ever seen. I don't know why I like it so much, I just do. As a stylistic choice it was a brilliant one.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I've never really thought about which is my least favorite since I love them all. This has been one of my favorite movies since I was a little kid.
Best Story: easily is The Crate
Best ending: Leslie Nielson's mindless ranting at the end of "Tide"
Best line: Tie- "Tell it to call you Billy" from The Crate or "Meteor Shit!" from Jordy.
Definitely a horror classic and a movie that everybody has to see.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Without a doubt, They're Creeping Up On You. Absolutely horrid! Of course, The Crate is the best of them... :D

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Same here, Andy. The Crate is the best, while They're Creeping Up On You is my least favorite.

I love this movie, too bad there are no deleted scenes on the DVD. As happens so often a few things can be seen in the trailer that didn't make it into the final cut. Overall I'm very happy with the quality of the DVD though, especially since my UK VHS tape was utter crap (especially the sound quality).

Chris

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
One thing that is often taken for granted in Creepshow is the cast - it's an awesome cast! They could easily have picked some low-budget faces, but how did they get Leslie Nielson, Hal Holbrook, Ed Harris, Viveca Lindfors, Adrian Barbeau, Tom Atkins, Ted Danson, E.G. Marshall, etc? Superb.

I remember taping it off late-night-TV in the late 80s as a kid and I musta watched it every day for a week! It was the first film I ever saw that scared me shitless and made me roar with laughter. Something To Tide You Over is brilliantly executed; Nielson is terrifying; the stark, isolated beach just oozes dread. See what happens when you don't hook up your Betamax correctly?!

Warner's DVD is okay. Early DVD. Anamorphic, though. I'd love to see a remaster with Romero and King, etc commentary!

"Goddamn bugs." :laugh:

Gordy

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
"I want my cake."

"I can hold my breath for a looong time!"

"Meteor Shit!"

-----

All great lines, but I don't use any of them as much as I use...

"Thanks for the ride, lady."

Brad

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Frank, you're missing out my friend. An awesome homage to E.C. comics.

For those that don't like JORDY VERILL, I just have to say that you're crazy. It's exactly like some of the stories in E.C. Comics. Funny, creepy, and kind of sad. CREEPSHOW is one of my favorite films.

FATHER'S DAY - 5
JORDY VERILL - 3.5
SOMETHING TO TIDE YOU OVER - 2
THE CRATE - 5
THEY'RE CREEPING UP ON YOU - 3

I too would love to see the deleted stuff from FATHER'S DAY. Savini made some great stuff for the murder of the fiancr that wasn't used. You can see a shot of it in the trailer.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
FATHER'S DAY - 2
JORDY VERILL - 4
SOMETHING TO TIDE YOU OVER - 5
THE CRATE - 5
THEY'RE CREEPING UP ON YOU - 4

Father's Day is my least favorite of them, although the 'Where's my cake' line has been uttered from me several times.

My favorites are either Tide or The Crate. I just love Holbrook and Barbeau in this one, but Nielsen as evil is just brilliant.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My least favorite would have to be Tide (though maybe it's just because I don't like Ted Danson much). The Crate is my favorite ("Just tell it to call you Billy" :D), and Creeping and Jordy Verill tie for second place. I found Father's Day to be weaker than my favorite three, but still good.

Crate = 5
Lonsome Death = 4
They're Creeping = 4
Father's Day = 3
Tide You Over = 2.5

-Lyle J.P.

StevenA

Second Unit
Wow, it's great to see so many fans of this wonderful movie.

I think Father's Day, although it seems less substantive than Tide or Crate, or even Jordy, is a great opener because it moves quickly and is chock full of great shock moments. I remember seeing this in the theater (so I should, since I saw it four times within two weeks with my mum, a big horror fan!!) and Father's Day always sucked the crowd right in very effectively. Then their attention started to wander with Jordy, but they were back by the end of Tide, with The Crate all the way through, and then Creeping was a good finish, IMHO, because it freaked out the audience effectively and was short and sharp.

The DVD is adequate, more or less, but I was so much hoping for a Romero/King/Savini commentary. I asked about the possibility of a re-release during one of the early HTF Warner chats and they just laughed it off!! :frowning: Maybe times have changed since then.

I have to mention the opening title sequence (not to mention the terrific pre-title framing story, featuring King's son), which is just beautiful and accompanied by one of the best opening title music tracks I've ever heard.

As for Creepshow 2, I was completely heartbroken when I saw it. I was hoping that there would be an effort to continue the look and feel of the original, and then there could be an ongoing series of "issues" of the Creepshow "comic" (i.e. like a cinematic series of EC comics). But I knew from the opening we were in for trouble: the film seemed to be trying to capture the look and feel of a Saturday morning cartoon, as opposed to the ECs. Only three stories, very drab, much lower budget, none of the class of the first, and a very disappointing music score (by Rick Wakeman, IIRC). Ironic, given that (also, IIRC) the film was directed by John Harrison, who created the sublime music for the first film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks