What's new

Which STB with Mits 55809 or 55819? (1 Viewer)

Bruce White

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Which HD decoder box would you recommend for the Mitsubishi 55809 or the 55819? I plan to purchase one of these soon, probably the latter.

I won't have satellite or cable, only OTA. I'll probably have to mount an antenna or use one of those double bow-tie monstrosities.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bruce

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Samsung makes a STB of OTA only...It is a good box...Like all STB's it has a few quirks, but will do the job real well...Samsung has a 100 dollar rebate on the box which means you should be able to pick it up for around 450...

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the Hughes E86 box for my 55809 last week. I am only using it for OTA now, but might upgrade my cable to DirectTV later on. I found it at Good Guys for $499, no activation required. I live about 40 miles from my local DTV towers, and am using the Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna. I get 6 DTV stations now, with another coming soon. I have not noticed any quirks or defects on this unit.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Steve,

I apologize for maybe a poor choice of words..The samsung STB is an excellent box for OTA reception ..When you read all the hard core reviews on any of these boxes, all the boxes do not have all functions that some people want..For example a few boxes like the Dish 6000 will output 720p and 1080i nativily while others the the samsung box only out puts 1080i..When it receives a 720p signal it converts to 1080i..This is really no big deal as most HD ready sets only can receive 1080i....There is PSIP issues with some boxes like the dish 6000 and the Sony box cannot receive PSIP data..This is the data such as programming info put out by the local channels as to what comes up on your screen guide...For example when I tune to my Local digital channel, the only thing listed is local digital channel and the number, no programming info because, until there is a software upgrade, my box cannot pick up the PSIP steam data...

Users who are viewing this thread