What's new

Which SPL meter should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
my b-day is coming up and i'm one thing i'm asking for is a spl meter.
i'm pretty sure most people use/recommend the radio shack one, but i was checking out their website and it appears they have four different ones:
link to radio shack site
i'm assuming the analog is the preferred one? i also noticed some with a "pc interface". what's that for?
thanks in advance...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.
[Edited last by Ted Lee on August 17, 2001 at 04:26 PM]

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Ted,
Go with the analog one. Its seems to work the best. I don't have any complaints with it.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
The digital version is just for those who need to see a decimal point. I find the analog more convenient for averaging when responses tend to drift some, especially at lower frequencies, due to standing waves, etc. Plus it's $20 cheaper. The accuracy is in the internal circuitry of the meter, and not the dispaly. That is to say, the digital is not more accurate than the analog one.
The others are for doing multi-point responses across the audio band, and plotting all the measurements on a PC.
A little beyond the basic calibration you normally would need.
A pro might want to use something like that for recording various room responses and/or different locations or setups.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
good info...thanks guys!
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks