Which Spider-man?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brenda M, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

I would like to check out Spider-man comic books/graphic novels. I read DC comics in my youth and never Marvel. Now I would like to see what I have missed but I am confused. Amazon has a couple of choices of Spider-man:
    The Amazing Spider-Man (The Essential Spider-Man, Volume 1)
    by Stan Lee
    Ultimate Spider-man Vol. 1
    by Brian Michael Bendis, Mark Bagley and Bill Jemas
    Which one I wonder?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The first one is the classic Spider-Man stories from the 1960's and up. This is the stuff that most old-time comic book fans grew up with, or grew up with the continuity contained in the Essential Spider-Man stories.

The second one is the rebooted alternate universe version of Spider-Man in Marvel's "Ultimate" line of comics where they basically restart the classic Marvel comic book titles as if they were started now, thereby the stories don't have as much baggage continuity-wise. Ultimate Spider-Man started about 5 years ago, and if you had $40 to spend on Spider-Man, Barnes and Nobles (the website and the local stores) has a uber-Ultimate Spider-Man hardcover book that has the first 38 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man in it.

Basically Marvel's milking their properties with the Ultimate lines of comics, but it's proved to be popular because it's perceived to be giving readers a second chance to get in on the ground floor with these Marvel characters, while also telling stories with a different spin on them.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

A can give another vote for Ultimate Spider-Man... it's really the only GOOD Spider-Man book right now, IMHO. Nice art and writing.

I'm not really into many comics myself, but my roommate reads 30+ books a month. [​IMG]

4. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

I was in B&N today and they had this for $49.99 with 20% off (extra 10% off for their club members). They also had what appeared to be B&N exclusives of the classic SM. Each volume had 10 issues plus a bonus (vol. had #1-10 plus Amazing Fantasy 15, others had the annuals) in full color, for $12.95 each and had Barnes & Noble printed on the spines.

Chris

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I too like Ultimate Spider-man. I picked up the tpb for awhile now, but the next few issues are about Carnage. He's one of my favourite Spidey villians, so I actually attempted to look for the back issues in my comic store, but they didn't have it. So I guess I have to wait a few months for the new tpb to come out.

6. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, but never got into the Ultimate line. I'm loving Amazing Spider-Man right now, ever since JM Strazyinski (spelling, I know) took over the title on issue 31, it's been awesome. It reminds me of my favorite Amazing's from when Stan Lee and Romita were doing it, along with the Roger Stern issues from the mid-200's. A great, great book.

Doug

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I dig both classic Spidey and Ultimate Spidey. [​IMG]

It should be noted that the trade paperback "Essential" collections are printed in black and white on cheap paper (hence the low prices).

For higher quality (and color), try the Marvel Masterworks hardcovers. There are currently six Spidey volumes reprinting Amazing Fantasy 15 and The Amazing Spider-Man 1 - 61 (plus various annuals).

There are currently four hardcover editions reprinting Ultimate Spider-Man (in addition to the previously-mentioned uber-collection); the first three (reprinting issues 1 - 39) can be purchased as a set at talesofwonder.com (highly recommeded for all your tpb and hc reprint needs) for $39.95.

The Ultimate Spidey line has also been reprinted as a series of trade paperbacks (reprinting fewer issues per book than the hardcovers), so you'd do just as well getting the hardcovers.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I love, love, love the Ultimate series. Bendis has done wonders with the characters and, although it's compressed to be a "greatest hits" series, he manages to pull it off. It's funny, it's cleaver, it's dynamic, and absolutely gorgeous. I picked up all the TPBs on Ebay and don't regret it a lick, and have since subscribed. LOVE it.

9. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

FWIW, the books I saw at B&N were softcover versions of the Masterworks books. $12.95 for softcover, and ~$39 for hardcover.

Chris

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I love the old Ditko books. IMHO theyre just great,classic and some of the best comics ever.

You can get the Essential books vol 1-6 on amazon for about $10 each used. Im thinking of doing the same as I seem to have lost my whole Spiderman collection.

I stopped reading Marvel comics in the mid 80s.Forget the newer stuff

11. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for your great replies. I decided to forget about online ordering and went to B&N. Big mistake, money wise, I ended up getting the Ultimate Spider-man Collection and Vol. 1 of the Masterworks. The Essentials Masterworks read like the comics I grew up with. They even start at the price point 12 cents I remember (I can't believe comic books are $3 now). And the Ultimates read to me more like seeing an animated Spider-man cartoon. I was glad I spent the money to get the big, heavy volume.