Which Speakers to Upgrade Next?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Beau B, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

I live in a Apt. so I don't need really Big Speakers, but here is what I have now.

Center - JBL HLS

Fronts - Klipsch Quintets

Rear - Technics 2 sided

Thanks to all who respond

Beau

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

What kind of budget do you have? Do you want to get a complete set of five speakers or just two? How much room do you have to work with? Would you like a subwoofer to go with that?
    More info, please! [​IMG]

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Order of priority for upgrades, in terms of sonic impact, according to my experience (for HT purposes):

Adding a sub (if you have none)

Upgrading front mains

Adding surrounds (if you have none)

Adding a center (if you have none)

Upgrading sub

Upgrading center

Upgrading surrounds

Note this is my opinion only. More specifics when you supply the information requested above.

4. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I have a Sub already. The living room is pretty large because it and the dining room are all one big room. I just wanted to upgrade 2 for now and had herd that my center should match my fronts as far as a brand name goes. Is this true? I really like my JBL Center, so I did not know if I could move the Klipsch to the rear and get small JBL'S for the front or what?

Thanks Beau

5. EricHaas

Yes, the mains should match the center. I cannot positively verify this, but a poster here said that all JBL's have the same tweeter, so that any pair of JBL's would match any JBL center.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    that's actually not true Eric. you are right about the front three speakers needing to be timbre-match (the tweeters need to be the same across the front for the best sound), but the Northridge and Studio lines from JBL both use different tweeters. try to keep the front three speakers in the same line. all the speakers in each line are timbre-matched with each other. (for JBL)
    i'd recommend getting either a new pair of fronts to match the center or a new center to match the fronts. since you have a sub, that upgrade will yield the best, most noticible results for you right now (speaker-wise).
    good luck! [​IMG]

7. EricHaas

Thanks for the clarification Thomas. As I said, I was repeating what someone else here said a couple weeks ago. It was in one of those "why JBL's are so awesome" threads.