Which speakers for my power range?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Scott Pad, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Scott Pad

Scott Pad Agent

Now before I get bashed I understand I do not have the greatest receiver in the world, but I have a Yamaha HTR-5490 which is a few years old. Being a college student I don't want to upgrade if I don't have to. I only use the receiver for stereo play and was wondering if anyone thought it could play a pair of JBL S312 decently. If not would I be better off with Cerwin Vega V-12F? I listen to mostly rap and rock so I like some clarity, but love the bass and I do not want to purchase a subwoofer. I currently have a pair of HLS 620's which sound nice, but have no bass...any help...MUCH APPRECIATED

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Nobody will bash you for your equipment (well, check that -- one brand gets bashed here, but that's a different story).

You're smack in the middle of mass-market products, and that's nothing bad at all. In fact in this case it's an advantage. Any mass-market reciever will be able to drive mass-market speakers, and JBL and CV are quite common and should not pose a difficult load at all.

As for sound quality, well you'll have to decide that for yourself [​IMG]

Why are you anti-sub? I have no idea what the HLS620s are but if you're happy with them, adding a sub could be a cheap way (perhaps the cheapest way) to get more bass.