What's new

Which speakers for family room? (1 Viewer)

Lisa

Grip
I'd like to put somewhat of a home theater setup (5.1) in a rather large family room. We presently have an older model Harmon Kardon a/v receiver (will have to add model # later on as can't remember it). The room is 17' long, 23' wide and 20' high. The tv is located in a corner of the room (adjacent to windows and fireplace). The other 2 "walls" of the room are "open" to a hallway and a kitchen (separated by square columns).

We don't want anything expensive in the way of speakers - already have a media room upstairs with that set up. I'd like to get the speaker set for $1k or less but would be open to more expensive sets if it really sounds that great when I listen to it. Also, because of the room set-up, the speakers would have to be either wall-mounted satellites or small bookshelf types (sort of prefer satellites). I realize the room is large and not the best for sound but just want something fairly decent. Does anyone have suggestions?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
My recommendations are paradigm cinema or performance series, Polk R or Rti series. They all sound great and are a great value as well.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Graham, I strongly recommend paradigm. You should find a dealer and go listen.

Also, make sure your receiver is up-to-date, if it is old, it may only have pro-logic. In that case it would really be worth getting a new receiver, or finding a DVD player that has built-in decoders (if your receiver has pre-ins). If you're not sure, give the model#, or consult the manual.

Lisa

Grip
Thanks for the recommendations. I plan on going to listen to those speakers pretty soon.

It has crossed my mind to check on the old receiver to see if it will meet the new standards. Thanks for the heads up on that one too.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_1104.htm

has NHT Super Zero's for $87 each. They are considered a good value, an outstanding speaker, and are small enough to meet your requirements. I suspect they would sound great with your HK. You'd probably need a sub, but could find something decent with the $400 you have left after the NHT's.

By the way:

How 'bout them Cowboys ??!!

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
If you want just a nice setup for a cheap price but to maintain GREAT part quality and sound then I recommend the Klipsch Quintets, Athena offers a similar setup (do not know name but is a satellite speaker system), and Polk also has a few of there owns but I don't like them as much.

Go to Bestbuy and take a quick look at them unless you have an audio store around you that sells Klipsch. The Klipsch Quintets are about 7" tall and can be mounted on walls without any extras needed.

I currently use my Quintets with my Harman/Kardon AVR-225 reciever and they sound great. As for a subwoofer I would look around... for cheap prices Athena offers some good setups, but I would just look around to see what you can get, Klispch subs aren't the best so I might stay away from them... but as for the speakers I def. recommend a look at the Klipsch.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Also, because of the room set-up, the speakers would have to be either wall-mounted satellites or small bookshelf types (sort of prefer satellites).
Returning to JBLs, you should check N24s which are wall mountable, and also S36 that are also wall mountable. You could also get Bookshelfs and buy speakers braceltes. The S36 can be had for $200 a pair, and the N24 for $100 a pair. And you could add a SVS 25-31Pci or a PB1-ISD.

Chech both the JBL Studio series and Northbrige series, and if you can the new Northbrige E series.

Good luck with your speaker hunt,
Pablo

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, one of the best entry level speakers are the Wharfedale Diamond series. If you have a Wharf dealer near you, I recommend you give them an audition.

If you decide to take things up a notch or two, take a look at Axiom and Ascend.

Lisa

Grip
I finally noticed that the living room receiver is a Harmon Kardon AVR30!!!?! It's so old that the specs don't even show up on the manufacturer's web site under older stuff anymore! Guess I'll have to talk the husband into a bigger budget for the living room! :)

I will definitely research these ideas. Thanks so much for all the input.

BTW Doug - those Cowboys are doing pretty darn good for a change. ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered the Rocket ELT 5.1 system, Lisa?

If the cherry-stained birch cabinets meet your standards (there are no other cabinet options) it might be an ideal choice. $900 for the 200 watt subwoofer, four satellites and center channel. I heard this in Dallas when AV123 had a road show a couple of months ago and it is a very fine system at this price point.

I see it as a good HT system that also works for music.

I know that there are a couple of these systems in the Dallas area whose owners would probably demonstrate.

I think that Ascend could be a good choice, but I'm not sure that they would come in at under your price point (when a sub is added).

Lisa

Grip
Hey Chris

Thanks for that info on the HK!

Lew

The cherry finish would not match the living room - everything is in this light (almost white) oak finish with a sort of "milkwash" detail on it. But thanks for the link - I will still check it out.

Lisa

Grip
Jerome

Yes, the family room is one of those "great" rooms that have the second floor open to the bottom and you can see the stair railing along the top hallway.

This is another reason why I'm not too worried about a top notch sound system in there...

george king

Supporting Actor
go to Link Removed and check out the RADMicro package, or, Brian also has a new package he is working on. Great guy, fabulous workmanship.

Here is another example of his work.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=5454

and then scroll down a bit and look at the sub.

Lisa, I forgot to add that Brian custom builds these for you. So if you sent him a picture of your room, he would match the finish of the speakers to the rest of your room.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll point you to my favorite site for speaker and subs. AUDIO ADVISOR
Really some pretty good deals in the price range you are looking for with some quality speakers.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Hey Lisa. There are quite a few Rocket and Axiom owners in the DFW area if you want to demo some. Actually, I know more Rocket owners than Axiom (Sushi on AVS is the only one I've heard of owning the Axioms--or actually paid attention to). You can go to their respective forums and try to request an in-home (theirs, of course) demo. That way you can get a feel for how they look and sound. The cherry stain of the ELTs appear more reddish in the picture than they do in life.

I'm trying to get Lew to throw a party at his place, but he's being resistant (hehehe).

I don't own any Rockets (except for the UFW-10 that's scheduled for arrival tomorrow), so I can't really offer my in-home demo to you. I have some PSB 6T towers, an HTD 2 center, and a pair of Anthony Gallos if you want to demo those. I know, it's a mutt system, but I'm saving up until I can get the Rockets next year. I'll be missing those PSBs tremendously, however.

--Nhan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Lisa, I'd be happy to demo, but I don't have the ELTs.

If you are interested, I have a 550/200/300/UFW-10 setup. It is driven off an inexpenisve Pioneer receiver.

Lisa

Grip
Thanks Nhan_H and Lew for being so nice by offering the demos and help. I will probably head to some stores and see what is around first of all. Most of these recommendations from everyone seem to be great solutions for our living room theater. So I have a lot of homework to do now!

I may have to put this on the back-burner though because of various upcoming family events, weddings and national guard duty weekends. :frowning:

But I'll be sure to post when I figure it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks