What's new

Which speakers for both music and HT under $2k? (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Grip
I am looking to replace my Bose (I know! I know!) acoustimass speakers with some real speakers. Currently, I am setup in the family room so I am probably 60% music and 40% HT. Both are very important to me. Please recommend speakers that are great for both under $2,000. Please recommend models as well as brand. I have a Denon 3802 and a SVS 25-31 that I will use with these speakers. Room size around 14 x 26 but I am planning to build and will have a dedicated room around 14 X 20. Thanks!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Here is what I have and have been very pleased with the sound. Paradigm Monitor 7's for mains, Paradigm CC-370 center, Paradigm Mini-Monitors for surrounds, and Paradigm PW-2200 sub. I really like Paradigm sound and this particular combination.

Be sure to audition all speakers before you make a choice. What sounds best is a subjective decision only you can make and decide. Good luck and happy shopping.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
You have a receiver with a 7 channel amp there. Did you want a 5 speaker set or a 7 speaker set? Obviously, you'll get better quality speakers if you get 5.

Assuming 5, for your budget, here is what I recommend:

Paradigm Reference Studio 40's as mains ($750)

Paradigm Reference Studio CC center ($450)

Paradigm Reference Studio ADP dipole surrounds ($800)

Assuming 7:

Paradigm Reference Studio 40's as mains ($750)

Paradigm Reference Studio CC center ($450)

Paradigm ADP-170 dipole surrounds ($300)

Paradigm Titan rears ($200)

All prices assume black laminate finish, and that you obtain a 10% discount off the MSRP, which is not difficult. The second set doesn't match perfectly between your front and rear soundstages, but IMO this is not critical provided the fronts match the center.

This is one suggestion. Go to some hifi shops and demo different brands. Do give Paradigm a listen if you can though. Happy shopping.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Marvin, I did read that, and that is one heck of a sale going on. I like NHT a lot, but they are extremely particular to associated equipment. The line mentioned here is a fairly difficult load for most receivers, and some stand alone amps. They need a lot of quality watts. They can also get very shrill on you without painstaking attention to equipment. Again, I like NHT, but IMO the purchaser should have some good experience, and some dollars to spend to make them sound their best. That being said, while a good deal, I still think the Phase Tech's are the best for $2k.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Kelly, if you're willing to go "against the grain", you should check out nOrh (http://www.norh.com). You could get a pair of Synthetic Marble 6.9, and Synthetic Marble 6.1 center and rears for $1895 shipped, or you could even upgrade the center to a 6.9 (and have 3 EXACT matching fronts) for $2095 shipped. Since you already have an SVS, I couldn't imagine a better speaker setup for less than 2K.

george king

Supporting Actor
Well, for a dual system, IMHO Kef speakers are a great value, although not to many people have them around here. The prices are list, but you can reasonably expect a 10% discount.

For a 5 speaker set up I would suggest:

Kef RDM 2 fronts ($1200/pr list)

Kef 100C center ($600 list)

Kef q15.2 rears ($350/pair list)

For a 7 speaker setup

Kef Q35.2 fronts ($600/pair list)

2 pairs Q15.2

Q100C

Hope this helps.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I love that bi-polar sound from Definitive Technology. How about this 5.0 setup:
Front: BP10B
Center: CLR2002
Rear: BP2X
They make some really nice sub/sat systems too, if that's what you want.
www.definitivetech.com

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I have the nOrh 4.0/5.1 setup and love it! Would go with 3 SM 6.9s for the front and then ceramic 4.0s for the surrounds. Killer HT setup, IMO, and excellent with music too. But they are not traditional looking at all so you may want to get the WAF.

Would also look at speakers from B&W, Swan Diva, Paradigm, and Def Tech.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I second Marty's vote for Paradigm.

A couple of other good possibilities would be PSB, Image 5t for the front ($800), Image 9c center ($400), and either Image 10s ($750) or Image 2b for the rear($400). If you want to go 7.1 you could go with the 10s and the 2b.

You could also go with B&W 603 S3 ($1000) in front, 601 S3 ($400) rear, and LCR600 ($500) or LCR60 ($350) for the center.

Any of these systems would be very nice.

Arron H

Second Unit
Regarding B&W 600 line, you might also want to look for Series 2 on closeout. There are some serious discounts on the 600 S2s if you can still find them (anywhere from 20-30%). I did and love them.

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
Another nOhr recommendation. I have the ceramic 4.0 video system coupled with and SVS 20-39CS...they sound fantastic and look beautiful.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go with either JM Lab Chorus 725 Mains, CC 700 center, 706 Rears. $2000 on the nose. Or, and these speakers are great on music, Ruark Prelude II mains, Dialogue II center, and Epliogue II rears. JM Lab is the little better value, you get the 3 way main, the Ruark is 2-way. These are both no lose. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks