Which speaker to buy???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Hoover, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I have a chance to get a set of Infinity Interludes at a great price. The ones I'm looking at are the IL40s for mains, IL25C center, and IL10s for surrounds. I am also considering a quintet of NHT SuperZeroes or (if I save a little more money) the nOrh 4.0 package. Could somebody describe the tonal characteristics of these speakers after break-in? I have a rather bright receiver (Kenwood VR-407) and am looking for a laid-back speaker to balance out the sound a bit. I would also appreciate comments on which package would be the best, although I already know which one you'll pick [​IMG]
    Also, are there any tonality differences between the old SuperZero and the new SuperZero XU?

2. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I would definitely suggest getting the IL36 for your center instead of the IL25. I know it's large but you've already got full sized speakers for fronts if you are going with IL40's. I have IL40s for fronts, IL10s for rear surrounds, IL36C for front center and I use the IL25 for my rear center. I will also be adding QPS-1s for my 8.1 system. I use these with a Sunfire sub together with my Yamaha RX-V3000GL.. awesome setup if you like a smooth response

3. TysonN

TysonN Agent

The NHT's are the most upfront, the Infinity's are the most laid back, and the 4.0's are in between (the marble/ceramics are very close to the Dunlavy SC-1's in overall sound).

4. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

With the speakers you're looking at, I would DEFINITELY consider a receiver upgrade. If you're into music, I would look into the new Denon's or Onkyo's with DPLII!

5. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

The technology behind the Infinities is excellent. The fellow in charge of the design there (Dr. Floyd Toole) is a giant in the industry who has studied speaker listening preferences and knows how to design an accurate loudspeaker. And what you get for the money spent is simply amazing...soundwise. These will absolutely kill the superzeros. (For the record, I also own a set of superones). I have a set of IL10's and an IL36 in a second system and am absolutely pleased with them. Dialogue is very clear and they work extremely well for music. For the money, they are a no-brainer.

6. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Tim:
    If you can get a good deal on the Infinity IL-40s, thats what I would go with. I auditioned these briefly at the local Circuit City a while back and was impressed. Also, the IL-40s received a very favorable review from Peter Aczel in the current issue (No. 27) of "The Audio Critic" which, IMHO, is THE best audio magazine in the business.
    I came very close to purchasing these speakers a few weeks ago but found what I thought was a little better deal on a different brand.
    I did recently purchase a pair of wood Norh 4.0s and believe these are good speakers for the price. This may be at odds with the opinions of some other Norh owners, but I would describe their tonal balance as rather sweet and forgiving overall, at least in comparison to most other speakers I am familiar with.
    I have never heard the NHTs
    Good luck. Bob

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Thanks everybody for the responses. I was not aware the Infinity speakers were so highly regarded. I think that they will be just what I'm looking for.

8. donovan_chin

I agree with the rest of the guys to say that I think that you need to upgrade your receiver as well. I think that Denons, Onkyos and Yamahas are good matches. I personally went with a Yamaha and I think that it's a really good match.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

your receiver is certainly adequately powered provided your room is not enormous and the speakers you're choosing are not inefficient. as far as the receiver being 'bright', that's just not the case unless you don't have a flat frequency response which is highly unlikely. while it may be a hassle to some (and part of the fun for others) see what you can do to arrange to audition the speakers in your own home. by visiting various audio stores in your vicinity you should be able to come up with reasonable choices commensurate with your budget and other needs.
    as far as bright goes, that's largely a characteristic of your room and tossing in some drapes or other sound absorbing material, playing with the speaker placement should result in a sound balance to your liking. This is just my opinion, but if I can't audition the speaker in my own environment and be able to return it with no hassles, then i move to a store that will allow me to do so.

10. donovan_chin

Sean,
    Thanks for pointing that out. I should have read the posts more closely.
    ~Donovan

11. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The question is which one (speaker) will be around longer (in your system)? Of the ones listed, I'd say the nOrhs would be. However, if there is not much of a price difference between the Infinities and the nOrhs, go with the nOrhs. If it is significant and the Infinities are cheaper, go with them.

12. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Sean, thanks for the defense. You are not babbling at all. I'm not looking to buy a new receiver as I bought the VR-407 back in November. Prior to that I PROUDLY owned a Kenwood KR-V990D, which had a sound that I loved. Unfortunately, it had a problem with incoming DD bitstream signals (being made just before DVD) so it went in favor of the VR-407 which does not exhibit audio dropouts.
    Chu, one receiver CAN be brighter than another. It is not my room or speakers affecting the sound. When I replaced my KR-V990D with the VR-407, I noticed a very distinct tonality change. I had not moved a single speaker or changed anything else around. Ideally, a receiver would have a flat frequency response, but this is often not the case. Many have EQ curves intentionally designed into them to make them sound more pleasing.
    As per the price difference between the Infinity and nOrh speakers, it would be around $250. That is a not-unsubstantial bit of cash, so I think I will go with Infinity.
    [Edited last by Tim Hoover on August 13, 2001 at 10:18 PM]

13. Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson Auditioning

Tim,
    I personaly own the IL36c center channel speaker and can honestly say IMHO that the center speaker is very good with dialogue reproduction and would go great with the rest of the infinity speakers.
    Thanks,
    Mike