Which speaker set will be better for me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I am looking for a pair of bookshelf style front speakers. I would prefer if they were wall mountable. Could anyone tell me which if I would be better off with:
    Upgrade plan one:
    1)buy JBL N-26II for front($300CAD at futureshop)
    buy JBL N-24II for rear($229CAD at futureshop)
    buy JBL N-center to replace current Kenwood center channel
    ($260 CAD at futureshop)
    2)buy Paradigm titans for front
    buy Paradigm atoms for rear
    buy Paradigm CC-170 center

Both of these setups would be paired with a Sony WA-WM40 subwoofer(next on my list to buy).

Since I live in Canada, finding the Paradigms is no problem.
    I don't think I am getting a great price on the JBLs though. I really like how the JBLs look but I'm not sure of a Canadian dealer that sells them cheap. I also think it would be cheaper to buy the NSP1 set and sell off the extra N24s and replace them with a higher up model in the Northridge series. Could anyone tell me which would be best and how much I could expect to pay for both sets?

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Since you're in Canada, check out PSB, Dahlquist, Energy and Axiom. Look at the audioshop website and email them for prices. The smaller Dahlquist may be wall mountable.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think the Paradigm will sound better than the Northbrige series from JBL. But audition both sets and decide for yourself.

4. Justin Ward

Whenever I try to find the price for the Paradigms they tell me to visit my local dealership. How much should I expect to pay for the Paradigm Atoms and Titans?

5. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Justin:
    Can I assume that your budget is around $1000 CAD for a 5.1 system?
    Do you have your heart set on the JBL's or Paradigms or are you open to suggestions?
    I think it is safe to say that you aren't getting a great price from Futureshop. You won't unless you find a great deal somewhere else and go back to them for a price match (why would anyone do that anyway?).
    I agree with the comment above that because you are in Canada, you should take advantage of our great prices on Canadian speaker brands (one of which is Paradigm). Some of the Canadian brands offering great value and quality include (some already listed above):
    - Athena
    - Axiom
    - Dahlquist
    - Energy
    - Mirage
    - Paradigm
    - PSB
    For a few more ideas on 5.1 systems with MSRP's in the $750CAD to $1500CAD range, check the buyer's guide at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
    If you are looking for information on where to buy particular brands in the Halifax area, send me a private message.
    Jeff

6. Justin Ward

I went to local Paradigm dealer and the prices were:
    Atom(pair) $189 canadian
    titan(pair) $229 Canadian.
    There was only one set of titans left. Is this is a good price for those speakers?

7. Dan Workman

Dan Workman Extra

That sounds like a good price to me. I was quoted prices last week of $189 per pair (U.S.) for the Atoms and $219 per pair (U.S.) for the Titans.