Which speaker configuration will sound better.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

ok guys, I almost have a full audio setup at home. I have a Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver, Kenwood Center channel speaker(dual 4" mid/bass 100 watts 8 ohms), 2 Kenwood surrounds(4inch mid/bass 100 watt 8 ohms) and I have 2 borrowed front speakers.
    The front speakers are Technics SB-A11. Now, these are my parents speakers and they excellent but I have no sub so i redirect the bass to these speakers. Now, the upper bass is strong and clear but the low bass will occasionally distort at loud volumes. For example, in "The Rock" when Mason and Goodspeed are in the morgue and a marine is injured on the floor, Mason shoots an overhead machine of some sort and it lands on the marine, this part distorts heavily. Now, I'm not sure why because the speakers have 10 inch woofers(about as big as a good sub) yet they choke on this superlow stuff. They perform excellent in music where they can make my jaw shake. Yet, I have heard friends systems that do not choke on this bass even with satellite system and a relatively small 8 inch sub. Why would an 8 inch sub outperform 2 10 inch woofers? I am thinking that maybe a sub can move more to provide greater air movement because it is allowed to move more. Am I wrong?

Anyway, I need to give the speakers back soon and I have seen Mirage 360s on sale second hand for only 60 Canadian dollars. I will also buy a sub - probably 8 or 10 inch. Now will the new speakers likely sound better? I'm not complaining about the Technics speakers, as they sound fantastic, but I don't want to miss out on the superlow bass.

2. Justin Ward

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The speakers most likely distort because 1) they aren't getting enough power and 2) they simply can't go that low. It is highly likely that it is both of these reasons.

A dedicated sub unburdens the receiver from having to use all it's current to reproduce the entire frequency range. Bass requires more power than anything to reproduce, and when your receiver has to work to reproduce the whole range, it has less total power to do it's job vs. letting a sub handle the low stuff and the receiver handle the rest.

The Mirage's will probably sound better.

4. Justin Ward

So your saying that not only would bass improve with a good sub but so would the mids and highs? With the amp relieved of doing the bass this would make sense. Also, would an 8 inch sub go lower than the tower speakers I am using? On the back of the cabinet it says the Technics crossover at 3000 and 7000 I think. Does this mean that the woofer does frequencies up to 3000 hz? that is really high for a woofer isn't it? I think most subs don't do higher than 200hz.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, a very good 8" driver in a good cabinet, properly tuned, with a decent amp, can perform as well or better than many towers with 10" drivers in them that I've heard. Quality of components and construction is what matters.

Yes, the mid/high should actually improve (or at least not compete for power) also because the amp is no longer working as hard as before, and has a bit more in reserve to handle peaks.

The driver in the towers, while it may be large, is obviously selected and crossed over to handle both lower midbass as well as bass, and often in this arrangement the result is not great low end response, and it wasn't intended to.