Which sound field to use on Sony STRDE845

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kamal_K, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

I have a sony strde845 receiver and do not know which sound field to use for watching tv and movies. The one I have chosen now is cinema studio ex a. but hardly anything comes out of the front speakers, its all in the center. If anyone is familiar please help. thanks.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Kamal:

I use the DE835 in a second room setup, so I'm familiar with the issues involved. First of all, be well aware that the quality of your soundfield using Pro-Logic or PLII for TV broadcasts will vary according to the quality of the signal (cable, satellite, etc), and will vary from channel to channel as well. The phenomenon of having most info in the center channel and little in the left and right could be due to your speaker set-up, but is also likely due to the quality of your input source, e.g. cable TV.

That being said, I typically use Cinema Studio A or C for watching satellite or cable broadcasts. As far as movies go, I'm not certain what you mean. Do you mean watching VHS tapes encoded in Pro-Logic, do you mean DVDs encoded in 2.0 or 5.1, or do you mean movies on TV or satellite?

More info would help.

--AM

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

4. Kamal_K

sorry, I mean dvd movies in 5.1 and directv movies.

thanks

5. Steve Krasnow

Steve Krasnow Auditioning

I use Cinema EX.B for most movies. You can adjust individual volume levels for center, right, left, rear, subwoofer. My Cinema EX.B is very different from the original settings.

Play around with your volume settings until you get something that fits your speakers and room.

Steve

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have yet to hear a DSP mode that sounds better than straight DD or DTS (out of the box). You should not need a DSP mode for watching movies, it is already recorded the way it should sound, IMO.

The first question that comes to my mind is how is the player hooked to the DVD player? If it is not a coax or optical digital connection, then there is another issue to deal with first.

7. Kamal_K

I have my dvd player hooked thru my receiver by a digital coax and the rca cables of course, and currently use cinema studio ex. A. The center speaker puts out most of the sound with hardly any coming from the fronts. I changed it recently to the "normal Surround" sound field but really did not notice a difference. I am trying to play around a little bit with it because I will be getting a 65 inch RPTV and moving everything into another room soon so I want to get things right.

8. John Garcia

John
    Have you gone into your DVD players setup menu and configured it to use the digital output? Be sure to set it to bistream rather than PCM as well.

Technically, you don't need the analog audio hooked up.

9. Kamal_K

so do you mean that I should only leave the yellow rca cable in and remove the red and white ones? Also when I get my new RPTV, should I connect my dvd player thru the receiver or directly to the TV?

10. John Garcia

John
    Analog (the red and white) can be hooked up for music playback, especially if the DACs (Digital to Analog Converter) are better in the DVD player than the receiver, but for multi-channel DD and DTS, you MUST use either multi-channel analog or a digital connection.

For video, use the highest connection that both your devices can handle. Worst to best: Coax (CATV), Composite (RCA), S-video, Component.

Personally, I don't see a point or benefit to having the video looped through the receiver.

11. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I got the 835 a couple of years ago and the only soundfield I use on a regular basis for watching anything with a good 5.1 soundtrack is the Auto Format Decode. If your system is properly calibrated, with all channels set to the correct dB level, all settings withing the receiver properly set, etc...you won't need to use the other soundfields, period. I figure that this will be as close as you can get to what the audio engineer heard while mixing the soundtrack.
    Now, If I'm watching a movie with a pro-logic soundtrack or a decent stereo mix, I'll select Cinema Studio A or B. This will help to give the sound a little more depth and a bigger soundstage.
    Hope this helps.
    p.s. The Live House setting also works well with most music.

12. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Kamal,

In reading your post, it sounds as though you have your dvd player hooked up like a vcr. Like mentioned earlier you don't need to have the red & white audio hooked up at all. Run a coaxial cable or optical cable for your digital audio right into your Sony 845. If it's like my Sony, an older 925, you have more optical inputs than coaxial. For your video, run whatever your TV will accept from your dvd player, Component or s-video cable, or your yellow composite directly into the tv if possible. John Garcia mentioned the dvd set-up menu and enabling the bitstream option, this is a great comment as many people forget or don't know about changing this setting.

I know I've just re-itterated what everyone else said here probably, but the more the merrier.

Cheers,

Steve

13. Kamal_K

Okay, I went found my setup menu and made sure that the digital coax option was set to on, then there are two choices I can pick from, D-PCM or Dolby Digital, I picked DD. I thought that when you connect s video you also have to connect the yellow rca jack with it, in the past when I have only connected one I got no picture. My current tv only has one set of rca jacks in the back and I use the yellow jack to connect the monitor line to the receiver. As soon as I get my RPTV I will connect it directly. thanks

14. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Maybe you guys can help me out? my brother has the model referred to on the header any ways they noticed a loud hiss from all the speakers when its set to analogue source, cable, satellite ect.. with the volume down and a slight hiss when in digital mode, dvd player I can understand a slight hiss in digital with the volume up but the hiss is loud in analogue any thoughts?

Bob

15. John Garcia

John
    I get no hiss with a digital connection, and only a slight hiss with analog, both only at VERY high volume. This problem could be related to poor power quality, or it could just be the fact that this is not a very good receiver.

16. Kamal_K

I have no hiss at all.