Which sound card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Guarino, May 23, 2002.

1. John Guarino

John Guarino Auditioning

I thinking of building my 1st HTPC. I'm just not sure what to use for a sound card. I know I want 5.1 decoding, but I want to be able to plug other devices into it as well, ie: XBox and use it to decode 5.1 sound. Can anyone tell me what cards might do this?

2. Drew Wimmer

Drew Wimmer Stunt Coordinator

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 (www.midiman.com under m-audio products delta series), handles dolby 5.1 and DTS i think

3. John Guarino

John Guarino Auditioning

Very nice sound cards indeed, but little bit out of my budget. I found Phillips card with optical input and 6.1 decoding for $75. Think I may go with that one. Ty.

4. Rick Osgood

Rick Osgood Extra

The Zoltrix Nightingale Pro audio card is a good candidate for HTPC. I believe it cost's around $50.00.

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Not sure what your budget is. Let us know your budget so we can determine what's the best out there for you.

If want features you might want to check out the SoundBlaster Platinum Audigy or the Extigy (External Sound card). Both of these cards have a ton of inputs and outputs to work with any thing you need.