Which Sony Tivo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Matson, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Scott Matson

Scott Matson Auditioning

I have a satallite and was wondering what is the best way to get the antena and sat signal into the Tivo? What model has two turners and what is the advantage? I have the RCA sat reciever with AC-3 but have never been able to get the signal to work with my Denon 3300. So I was thinking of getting the Tivo with AC-3. Someone said the got a $200 rebate, was it with Sony? and when does it expire.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I don't have a Sony, but my year-old Philips came with two tuners that weren't active until a software upgrade was installed (via the phone line) last month. The advantage is an ability to record two different channels and play a 3d at the same time. I expect all the Sony models have two tuners (check for two sat inputs to be sure) but not all will have factory installed 2.5 software. If you buy without the software installed you'll have to wait for a download.
    Do get one. The biggest advantage is the recording of the digital stream before it's converted. Playback picture quality is therefore identical to the original signal.

3. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Please note the the satellite Tivo models do NOT have an MPEG encoder, so they CANNOT record antenna signals. If you must have antenna record capability, you will have to get a stand-alone model and hook up your satellite receiver to it. The disadvantages would include no 2nd tuner.
    A better option would be to pay for locals via satellite and get a satellite model Tivo.
    Good luck.
    Michael
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Michael Johnston on October 27, 2001 at 04:30 PM]

4. Scott Matson

Scott Matson Auditioning

Thank for the help. I'll probably get the sat tivo and then wait for local channels to come to my area.
    Scott