Which Sony DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kathleen, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Kathleen

Kathleen Auditioning

I have decided not to go with a HTiB, but to buy individual components. Here's what I have decide on:

Receiver: Kenwood VR-509

Surround Speakers: JBL NSP1

Sub: Sony SAW-M40

The only thing I am undecided on is the DVD player. I have narrowed it down to a Sony, but not sure which one:

DVP-NC600/B

DVP-C670D

DVP-N650V

What is the difference in these three and which one would be better?

2. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

If you have any plans to buy a TV monitor in the future, I suggest you also add Sony DVP-NS700P to you list.

3. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

700p

'P' as in progressive scan. And the 700p can be had relatively cheap.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kathleen, the Sony DVP-NS700P progressive-scan player is a worthy consideration if you think you will add an HDTV anytime soon. As for the changers you are considering, they are all good players. I have the 'C670D, and it is a great player. It is loaded with features, and the remote is excellent. However, it is last year's model and was discontinued a few months ago. I did see Tweeter stores in my area selling it for only $250 recently, but it isn't the easiest player to track down now, in general.

The 'NC600B replaced the 'C670D for all intents and purposes. I don't think the 'NC600B has as many features as the 'C670D, and the remote isn't as good in my opinion, but is is built well.

The 'NC650V is the newest DVD changer of the three you listed. In addition to DVDs and CDs, it plays SACDs, which sound better than CDs. The 'NC650V can play both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. I don't know how it compares all-around to the 'C670D, but the remote is nothing special. Still, given the SACD capability, I'd go with the 'NC650V.

5. Kathleen

Kathleen Auditioning

I want a five disc player the DVP-NC700P is only a single disc.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kathleen, I figured you were looking for a changer, but thought the 'NS700P was a good suggestion. For whatever reason, Sony doesn't offer a DVD changer with progressive-scan output at present.