What's new

which small-speaker system should I get instead of BOSE? (1 Viewer)

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
My mother insists of getting a BOSE-system. I've tried to convince her to buy a Mission M71-based surround system instead, but she refuses to listen. I told her that there has to be other sattelite/sub-systems out there which are better that BOSE for the same amount of money.

I don't know squat about small-systems like these so which ones do you guys recommend? I can't let her spend thousands of dollars on BOSE when I believe she could get an equally good system for half.

Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tor, the best way to handle this with your mother is to tell the truth. Any speaker system by a major speaker manufacturer will kill Bose for the same price, and there are many, many speaker systems priced a lot less that will kill Bose. Bose sucks, plain and simple. Don't sugarcoat this with your mother. Be honest with her before she wastes money.

What is her reasoning for buying Bose? Has she really tried any other speakers? People who don't know audio always come to Bose. They are drawn in by the marketing B.S.

I suggest she look at the Energy Take 5.2 system. Very nice for around $600-700.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I second the Energy Take 5 series. Great bang for the buck. I'd suggest running a search using BOSE and you'll find others have asked the same question...you'll find a wealth of suggestions.

Good Luck

Ron

Tor Arne

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks.
I showed her the MISSION FS2AV package with white NXT-speakers (easy to hide). I also recommended a Denon AVR-1801 which is on sale in a nearby store. She didn't object. :)
I didn't find any Energy Take 5.2 but I found Take 5.1. We will probably go have a look tomorrow.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Polk's lower end systems sound way better than Bose for less money. These would be good, if she likes the Bose because of the very small speakers. They are a bit bigger but still very small.

I have the Def Tech ProCinema 80 system. The speakers are pretty small (about 4 lbs, but large compared to bose). They have incredible sound for that small of a speaker. They run about $1000 for the system with sub.

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Tor, I agree with KeithH on the Energy Take 5.2's. We just installed them into our new theater at church (18X38X10 ft. or nearly 7000 cubic feet)with 2 of the 8.2 subs and a Denon 3802 (110 watts into 7 channels). These little speakers fill the room beautifully and can not only play very loud, but very clear as well. For the price they may be the best out there.:emoji_thumbsup:

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Just get her out to try some other systems. I would add my vote for the Definitive Technology system, but there are several, like the Energy and others that will sound much better. I know, I used to own BOSE.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Acoustic Research HC-6 system. The satelites are not as

small as the flat pannel missions or the Take 5.2 but they

are absolutely gorgeous (piano black) and they have received

a great review from Perfect Vision, and they can be had on

the net for as low as $499.00 for 4 satelites,center and a

powered 8" Sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.