Which size Toshiba ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickMel, Jun 21, 2002.

1. RickMel

RickMel Extra

I'm sure this has been asked many times...

From a 9' viewing distance... which would be the best size Toshiba to get? The 57" or the 65"? Is there such a thing as too big for a space?

Is there a "rule of thumb" for size of the screen and viewing distance?

I'm leaning toward the 57" for just one reason. The picture seemed to be brighter than the 65". Is this b/c the 65" pushes the 7" guns to their limit?

Maybe this was just because the 65" had been on the showroom floor longer. I tried to make all the setting the same.

If there typically isn't a difference in brightness and sharpness between the two - maybe I should get the 65". I've heard the perceive size "shrinks" after you've had it awhile.

Any thoughts on this ??? I'm having a tough time deciding between the two !!!!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I have the 65 and sit about the same distance, maybe another foot away. When I first purchase the set my wife and I thought that the set was too big but after two weeks we did not think that any more. They say that the 57" will look better because the guns are not pushed as far but I like the theater feeling I get from the 65".

Go to the store and see for yourself, take a tape measure and see which one you prefer. either way I don't think you could go wrong. Good luck on what ever you decide.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

4. Keith_JS

Keith_JS Agent

According to this site http://www.mcsquared.com/images1.htm
    the optimal screen size for a 9 ft viewing distance is a television with a 60" (5ft) diagonal screen. Both of the tvs you're considering should work well at that distance so it cocmes down to personal preference.

5. RickMel

RickMel Extra

Thanks for the input...

It sounds like I still have the same dilema. Brighter picture with the 57" but due to percieved "shrinking" the 65" may be the way to go from a 9' viewing distance.

Thanks for the link re: viewing distance.

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Rick,
    I have the 57" Tosh and sit about 9 feet away and the picture is fine.
    Here is a link about a similar dilemma but b/t a 50" and 57".

7. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Are these both widescreens? Just think of how much more square inches you get with just a 8" difference in diagonal.