What's new

Which Single Movie Of Your Collection Gets The Most Long Term Replay ? (2 Viewers)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It has to be a twin bill of The Godfather Part I and II. I never watch one without the other.

While I'm on the subject, my whole life I have wondered who ordered the hit on Michael at his home in Godfather II? Michael thinks Roth did it, but Roth makes no sense; he still needs Michael at that point. Pentangeli doing it makes no sense, either, as the Rosatos are the ones that come after him. Michael never betrayed Pentangeli, but Pentangeli thinks Michael did. And why would the Rosatos want Pentangeli to think Michael ordered his death if he didn't? They don't expect Pentangeli to survive? So why say it is it isn't true? I always grew up believing Pentangeli ordered the hit on Mike so Pentangeli could move against the Rosato brothers. But people tell me, no, it was Roth. That makes no sense. So I am still left wondering who ordered the hit on Michael? And why? If he doesn't duck at the last second, Roth never has a chance to get the briefcase of money from Mike, and Pentangeli leaves himself unprotected.
This is one of the reasons I prefer the first film- the relationship between Michael, Roth and Pantangeli is a bit too confusing.
The main reason the first film is at the top of my list of favorite films is the screenplay- so many memorable lines and scenes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the reasons I prefer the first film- the relationship between Michael, Roth and Pantangeli is a bit too confusing.
The main reason the first film is at the top of my list of favorite films is the screenplay- so many memorable lines and scenes.

I love both films, but Brando's performance and the editing of the baptism scene (in which all family business is settled) give the first film the slightest of edges for me.

- Walter.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Big Lebowski, no question. Especially since it came out on 4K UHD. Introduced it to my 13 year old son last week. He was quoting the dialogue for days. Had to dig out my Creedence and Eagles albums afterwards, because he didn't have those to reference.
IMG_2142.jpeg

Colin

Owner
Real Name
Colin
I have ONE movie that notably gets the most long term replays . It contains so many aspects of well executed entertainment & production (including the standard categories in a review) . A few in my collection get many repeated viewings for a variety of reasons, but most of us have ONE that seems to be a GO TO which never fails us in any mood we happen to be in. Please share yours without consideration to genre. My own contribution is the Blue-ray of " The Big Short". Thanks for your recommendations. EDIT: Just to be clear, my choice is NOT my favourite movie, but the one that is guaranteed to make me feel good anytime.
I LOVE this movie. I should definitely get it in Blu-Ray.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
My favorite films are my go to films. I can't imagine having a favorite that isn't your go to. I have a three-way tie for films that I've seen the most times (all well in excess of 100 viewings, both theatrically and on home video of varying formats):

Village of the Damned (1960)
The Birds (1963)
The Sound of Music (1965)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Bye Bye Birdie.

Ann-Margret gives what is universally acknowledged to be the greatest performance by anyone in anything ever.
I wonder if Sight & Sound, or any other critics entity has put out a top 100 acting performance in film list. That would be an interesting look. I know I don’t have as many films under my belt as some of you guys, but the first actress that comes to mind, as far as awesome job is concerned, is Elizabeth Taylor in Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
transformers revenge of the fallen IMAX walmart exclusive. i played it once years ago and it's been sitting next to my player because i'm too lazy to put the blu-ray case back on the media shelving. so everytime i cant decide or am just too lazy for any reason (you name) i hit play or put the disc back in and i rewatch the optimus prime fight in 1.90 aspect ratio while shit blows up.

is there any artistic reasons why i keep revisiting this? nope.

am i so damn i lazy, i wont switch out any other titles to lay it near my player. YEP.

it's pretty awful... but you know... for my $ any bay film where shit blows up, it really makes full use of all my 7.1 speakers. and at the end of the day as HT-tech enuthiast... does it relaly matter how well the movie is artistically if all you ever really want is shit blowing up? by that qualifier than all of michael bay films are master pieces of the first order. the first order of "i love it when shit blows up"🤣

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
For my wife it would be Scrooged
For me it would be Band of Brothers and if that doesnt fit that Category then Office Space

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
My very short list of 'comfort' titles is as follows. Sorry, in advance, but I can't do just one. These are on a perpetual rotation at my house.

movies
Gone with the Wind
To Catch a Thief
Death on the Nile (1978)
The Fan (1981)
Valley of the Dolls
Mystery Street
The Big Sleep
Reversal of Fortune
The Remains of the Day
(not necessarily in that order, although GWTW would still be #1 most replayed around this house)

TV shows
Agatha Christie's Poirot
Inspector George Gently
Frasier
Dynasty/Dynasty II: The Colbys
Cheers
Sex and the City
The X-Files
Ally McBeal

B....

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Blair
I LOVE this movie. I should definitely get it in Blu-Ray.
It's a pretty good disc but there's one issue I have with it - it doesn't have the "stop / resume" feature but only the "pause only". This is terribly frustrating if I wish to put the viewing on hold once or twice or if I have to resume part of the viewing the next day. Can someone explain why not all BDs have stop/resume please. I would sell my wife's favourite shoes for a 4K edition of "The Big Short". ( just kidding - she would take my player in the settlement.) 🫣

billw6560

Grip
Real Name
Bill Walch
I have ONE movie that notably gets the most long term replays . It contains so many aspects of well executed entertainment & production (including the standard categories in a review) . A few in my collection get many repeated viewings for a variety of reasons, but most of us have ONE that seems to be a GO TO which never fails us in any mood we happen to be in. Please share yours without consideration to genre. My own contribution is the Blue-ray of " The Big Short". Thanks for your recommendations. EDIT: Just to be clear, my choice is NOT my favourite movie, but the one that is guaranteed to make me feel good anytime.
Apollo 13

B....

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Blair
My favorite films are my go to films. I can't imagine having a favorite that isn't your go to. I have a three-way tie for films that I've seen the most times (all well in excess of 100 viewings, both theatrically and on home video of varying formats):

Village of the Damned (1960)
The Birds (1963)
The Sound of Music (1965)

I can give you my personal take on that : My favourite movies aren't comfort food stuff necessarily - inspiring "most long term replays". Most of them move me to an emotional OR thought provoking response. I can fully understand how that kind of thing is foremost in someone's "comfort food" sensibility but for me, that type of movie doesn't generally make me feel "good" as it were. Please don't misunderstand me because I enjoy being brought to tears or excitement or getting my adrenaline flowing by some of my favourites. But that doesn't really qualify those movies as "go-to movies" for "most replays" in my collection. Those movies are for "selected occasions". That said - some of my favourites DO make me feel good & relax me but .....😉

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I think Roth wanting to kill Michael makes sense in retrospect. Michael's assassination would weaken the Corleones. Roth would then make the deal w a weakened family eager to acquiesce and wouldn't be as wise as Michael in zeroing in on Roth's ultimate motive (joining forces.) Roth was forced to work with Michael with the same end game in sight . Michael just got to Roth first.
I wrote that very late last night and I want to clarify one more point. Roth didn't really want to "join forces" as much as decapitate it's leadership and then assume proxy control of the power of the Corleone family. Not unlike how America was working with the ruling Batista dictatorship of Cuba (Roth is wrong on that as well stating earlier that the Communist revolutionaries would never gain control.) Roth was wrong on both points....

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek
That is a tough question. I have so many regular movies.
Cinema Paradiso
Lawrence of Arabia
Nights of Cabiria
The Sound of Music
Plane, Train & automobile (for Thanksgiving)
Home Alone (for Christmas)
The Blade Runner
The Third Man
Citizen Kane
All About Eve (late night after :)
Spirited Away
Coco

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks