1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which Silver 3D paint for best screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BenA, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 2 Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    BenA

BenA Extra

Ben
    Hi:
    I want to upgrade my theatre room to be able to view 3D as well as 2D movies. My projector is 19 feet from the screen. The projector is 3300 lumens. The seats are 13' & 16' from the screen. Most seats are directly in front of the screen. The furthest seat from the centre of the screen would be at about a 125 degree angle. The screen size would be 178" (16:9 ). The projector will be fitted with a 3D polarizing modulator, so we would be wearing passive (RealD) glasses, when viewing 3D.
    It is a basement room, with VERY little ambient light. Dark floors and walls, but white ceiling.
    I want something that is bright enough for 3D, but not too bright for 2D.
    I was thinking of using "Paint on Screen 3D-4K (2.4 gain), or S1 Screen Plus (1.5 gain)".
    Any advice?

Thanks
    Ben

2. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    I'm not familiar with the 3D polarizing modulator but I've had experience with painted silver screens and NONE of them was a good experience. Back in the early 80's there were many white screens painted silver when the 3D craze hit the theatres. I never saw one that didn't have problems....mainly hot spots. Others might have had better luck but when I decided to go with 35mm polarized 3D film in my home theatre, I purchased my first Harkness silver screen. I'd seen enough disasters with painted screens. That was my experience. Maybe others on this Forum have had better luck. Currently I'm back to a matte white high gain screen using Dolby filters on the 3D lens and Dolby 3D glasses. I always hated silver screens, real or fake!! If you have to have a silver screen, purchase one made by a reliable manufacturer like Harkness, but there are other companies with excellent silver screens.