What's new

Which shows have you abandoned? (1 Viewer)

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so we all have our series that we intend to collect until completion, given the chance, but are there any that you have started buying, but already abandoned (even before the studio has)? Mine are:

King Of The Hill: I remembered watching some of it on TV and bought season 1 because it was cheap, and enjoyed it enough to take a chance on season 2. However, I found that set a struggle, and am unlikely to add any further seasons.

Sanford & Son: Season 1 was a blind buy, and I enjoyed it enough to continue. I'm currently working through season 3, but I think that three seasons will be enough, as most of what I have read suggests that it is downhill all the way after that.

The Monkees: This is strange, as I always enjoyed watching it on TV in my early years, and continued to enjoy reruns in the 80's and 90's. But watching Season 1 now on DVD leaves me cold. Given the poor audio and video quality on this set as well, I have not been tempted to spring for Season 2.

Given the chance, I would abandon Happy Days probably after 3 or 4 seasons, and Laverne and Shirley after probably 2.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Andromeda and X-Files fell victim to budget cuts, and even though I can afford to catch up now, I find I'm not inclined to.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I have several.

I gave up on NYPD Blue after 2 seasons, I couldn't get past the first few eps of the 2nd season. King of the Hill, same story. Bought the first season, but the following have been low on my priority list for a while now. I probably won't be buying them.

Simpsons... It was a joy to finally get the first seasons on DVD (I have 3), but I've seen it all and I can't bring myself to watch them again, so I won't be buying more of it.

West Wing. Have 2 seasons, haven't gotten around to it, so won't be buying more any time soon. Same with ER.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Good thread topic.. :emoji_thumbsup:

BARNEY MILLER; I want S2 & S3 but I doubt I'd go for more...
HAPPY DAYS; Have S1 and would get S2 but that's it...
CHARLIE'S ANGELS; Have S1 & 2; that's it...
DALLAS; have S1 & 2 (which was in reality only the pilot miniseries and S1)....will get S3 and maybe S4 then that's it...
LOST IN SPACE; have S1...that's it....
NYPD BLUE; have S1 & 2...that's it...(wasn't the same after David Carouso left but I did like Jimmy Smit's 1st season in the series...
PRETENDER S1; loved S1; it's on the way from Amazon...but doubt I'd get S2....somehow the "flavor" of this series changed for me after S1....
WHO'S THE BOSS; have S1; loved the 1st 2-3 season's...assuming more are coming...that's it after S3
WONDER WOMAN; Have S1; liked the WWII setting in the 40's but didn't like the "modern" season versions...that's it...

....signing off....:b

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
Sopranoes. I have the first 4 seasons and only watched the first two. I can't see forking over the money to HBO for something I won't watch.

For some reason I can't get into watching old shows on DVD. I have the complete Buffy and Babylon 5, The first 3 seasons of the Simpsons, First seasons of King of the Hill and Futurama and seasons 1 and 2 of Smallville, but I don't watch them.

I've had good intentions of Buying Andy Griffith, Little House, Waltons but when it comes down to it, id I bought them, they'd sit on my shelf, unopened.

I guess I'll stick to movies.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I haven't decided yet whether or not to abandon the Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends DVDs. I think there's only 5 seasons total, I only have 1. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure how much value there is to continuing on. At this rate they're only gonna be doing 1 year (first 2 were released August '03 and '04), so I have plenty of time to decide.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I stopped with Gilmore Girls season 1. I felt the show had a dropoff in quality after a few season 2 episodes, and I like how Season one basically wraps up a lot of plot threads.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Laverne & Shirley: I remember laughing at this show when it first aired, but watching the DVDs I decided it was just not that funny to me now. Funny how your tastes change as you get older. May get S2.

Mork & Mindy: I didn't care for this show at the time, but thought maybe I'd appreciate it more now. I Didn't. At least, not enough to continue getting future releases.

Friends: As stupid as it sounds, I have Seasons 1-8, and probably won't be buying the last 2 seasons, which I hated when they aired originally.

The Simpsons: The way the show keeps going, I'll probably be dead before all the remaining seasons are all released. Don't know if that counts as "abandoning".

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
X-Files (after season one; I have the other eps I like on LD)
NYPD Blue (again, just stuck with season one, due to Fox's downgrade of boxset "value" for season two)
MacGyver (bought season one; but PQ is rubbish, and the show is too variable to waste my money on s2)
Buffy (bought the first four seasons, but it became a considerable chore to watch some of the latter eps, so I stopped there)
Sopranos (no more after s3 - I'm waiting for HD copies now)
West Wing (ditto)
24 (only bought s1; but it's too "fresh" - I might buy the other seasons in ten years' time)
Quantum Leap (s1; and no more so long as Universal continue to butcher original music)

That might seem like a lot but I've got a whole load more completed series.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I bought Season 1 of "24" on a blind buy from Amazon when they had it for $15, and I HATED the storyline so much that I recently gave it away.

When "Moonlighting" comes out I have no intention of ever getting the last two seasons should the full series be released.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
THREE'S COMPANY: I watched the show religiously when I was a kid and was much more fond of Mr. Furley than the Ropers. When I purchased the first season I was surprised by how well it held up. The show was charming, sexy and still slightly risque. I bought the second season and was still as charmed. Then the third season came out. I think I made it through six of those unbearably hammy episodes. I watched the special features and found the answer to my problem: Director Dave Powers and his approach. I recently sold season 3 on Ebay and won't be buying anymore. Much applause goes to Anchor Bay though. Season 2 and 3 are excellently made; the show just wasn't to my liking anymore. (And was it just me or did Jack start becoming effeminate in the Dave Powers episodes?)

SEX & THE CITY: I just flat out refuse to pay the price they are asking for season 5, 6 pt1, & 6 pt2. Those releases only have 8 episodes and are the same price as seasons 1-4 which had 18 episodes each.

SIX FEET UNDER: Again, too expensive and season two was underwhelming compared to the extraordinary season one.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I had no problem abandoning M*A*S*H after season 3.

Maclean Stevenson leaves the show. Colonel Blake dies at the end of season 3.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd like to give up on Wonder Woman. The show took a real nosedive after season 1, but the bonus episode of Shazam on the 3rd season is a VERY strong draw.

I think that I've got enough Simpsons to last me. I dont think I even wound up watching the 3rd season all the way through. I might get the 4th, but that'll probably be it.

Rocky and Bullwinkle - it's all about that damn TV bug in the corner. If they abandoned that, I'd buy in a hot second. But as long as they deface the shows like that, f' em.

Oh, and I didnt think the Flintstones stood up as well as I thought it would. A cute show, but one season is enough for me.

And it's not technacly abandoned, since I have everything released thusfar, but I think I've got enough Muppet Show. The Disney sets will have to blow my socks off and be dirt cheap for me to double dip. If not, I'll be happy with the 15 discs from Time/Life.

Oh, yeah - MacGyver. Holy smokes, a classic example of a show that I loved as a kid, but man-o-man does it not stand the test of time. I dont think I've even gotten past the first disc.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I felt comfortable enough abandoning Muppet Show as soon as I got Raquel Welch's episode on DVD! :)

"Flintstones" I may be reluctant to contine past season 3 when the program grew more stale IMO.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'd keep up with Buffy Season 5 at least. That season provides a nice wrap-up to the series, as well as an amazing 22 episode story arc. Truly the last great season, and miles ahead of season 4.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Every series which I've started collecting, I intend to collect to completion, assuming the studios offer the full runs...with one notable exception: Quantum Leap. I have (and love) Season 1, but the music replacement issues have totally turned me off from any future releases of this show, which deserves much better treatment. So, my abandonment of this one has nothing to do with either my own tastes or the quality of the show itself, but rather, totally with the treatment it has received in the path to DVD release. Universal really dropped the ball (and lost my business) on this one.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
So far, just The Flintstones. I'm glad that I bought it (as well as Jetsons and Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?), but I've yet to finish any of the three sets. For some reason, I just can't do marathons of these or I'll get very bored.

If I finish Flintstones season 1 (I'm closest to finishing it, I think there are three episodes left to watch) I MAY pick up seasons 2 and 3 but not until there's a period where there aren't many TV-DVD releases I want on the horizon.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Most likely I will not be purchasing any more Little House. I have 3 seasons, but I just don't have the time to sit and watch much any more and there are only really a handful of episodes in the later seasons that I like, so it probably wouldn't be worth it to me.

Punky Brewster is one I don't plan on purchasing any more of. My girls liked them, but not enough for me to fork over the money for any other seasons.

I know I will not be purchasing S4 of Alias. I only really like the first two seasons anyways.

21 Jump Street is one I wish I never purchased the first season of, so I definitely won't be buying any more season of that show.

Other than that I want to continue getting Seinfeld, Smallville, Roswell and Jem and the Holograms.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The only show I was buying that I've since abandoned is LEXX. I really liked the four movie-length episodes that made up the first season, and the original "Zev", played by Eva Habermann, was an enigmatic presence that made everything else in the show work (as a tongue-in-cheek, sexy sci-fi cheese-fest, that is). She was replaced by "Xev", played by the rather luscious Xenia Seeberg, after the first two episodes of Season 2.

As sexy as Seeberg was, she didn't have the spark that Habermann had, IMHO, and the show got a bit too silly for its own good besides (not that LEXX was ever a serious show to begin with). I caught many of the later episodes on the Sci-Fi Channel a couple of years ago, and the whole thing got very redundant. So, after getting the Season One movies, and the four-episode Vol. 1 of LEXX: Season 2 (when you could get individual volumes instead of season sets), the departure of "Zev" was a good place for me to stop. And my wallet thanks me. :D

TimTV

Grip
I have absolutely no intention of purchasing Season 6 onwards of The Andy Griffith Show.

The character of Barney Fife made the show; once Don Knotts left, so did the comedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks