What's new

Which Show Has the MOST Episodes on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I can add "Leave It to Beaver" with 234 episodes and "Father Knows Best" with 203.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't forget Doctor Who. There were over 700 episodes of the original series. Around 100 are lost forever, leaving somewhere in the high 500s remaining intact. Nearly the entire surviving catalog is out on DVD, which would mean somewhere around 400 episodes are available at this time, with plans for all 500+ episodes to be available on DVD sometime around 2013. Sorry, no exact numbers, because the easily accessible numbers on the show splits everything up into 159 serials, and I don't feel like counting everything up individually. Also, this isn't including the movie, and the current series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Have Gun Will Travel" is close at 193 episodes with five of six seasons released. "Gunsmoke" counting the episodes released in the two earlier sets (and these count!) is actually at 186 so one more season will put it over the 200 mark for episodes released on DVD. "Perry Mason" with one more season will be very close but not quite to 200. And like "Gunsmoke" the consensus is it will get that one more season at least.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
If we were to combine every season set of every television series starring Lucille Ball that is available on DVD at this time, the episode count will come out to ... 400 episodes. I Love Lucy: Seasons 1-6 (complete) ..... 181 episodes The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour: Seasons 1-3 (complete) ..... 13 episodes The Lucy Show: Seasons 1-4 ..... 110 episodes Here's Lucy: Seasons 1-4 .... 96 episodes Now that's a whole lotta LUCY! :)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Mr. Mooney, you're the only person I know who counts MAYBERRY R.F.D. as part of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. It's a separate series, a spinoff. If you do that, you have to count ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE, THE JEFFERSONS and MAUDE as part of ALL IN THE FAMILY ... or RHODA, PHYLLIS and LOU GRANT as part of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. It seems kind of goofy to consider something to be THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW when Andy Griffith isn't in it. :rolleyes:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
Mr. Mooney, you're the only person I know who counts MAYBERRY R.F.D. as part of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. It's a separate series, a spinoff. If you do that, you have to count ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE, THE JEFFERSONS and MAUDE as part of ALL IN THE FAMILY ... or RHODA, PHYLLIS and LOU GRANT as part of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. It seems kind of goofy to consider something to be THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW when Andy Griffith isn't in it. :rolleyes:
Well, I guess the distinction being made there was that in the case of Mayberry and Archie Bunker's Place (and the unreleased Sanford Arms), those were direct replacements (continuing in place of the original, or a re-tooled show with the intention of keeping the franchise going) for the original shows rather than separate spin-offs (they may have even inherited the original shows' day/timeslots), whereas stuff like Rhoda, The Jeffersons, Maude, etc. are more properly spinoffs than direct replacements of their parent shows. I agree, most people count them as different shows, but it would also be unfair to place them in the same category as shows like Maude, Rhoda, Gloria, Lou Grant, etc. They're a slightly different category.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, yeah, but I argue with Mr. Mooney here a lot, and he never gives in, so it doesn't matter what I say. :D

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

Well, I guess the distinction being made there was that in the case of Mayberry and Archie Bunker's Place (and the unreleased Sanford Arms), those were direct replacements (continuing in place of the original, or a re-tooled show with the intention of keeping the franchise going) for the original shows rather than separate spin-offs (they may have even inherited the original shows' day/timeslots), whereas stuff like Rhoda, The Jeffersons, Maude, etc. are more properly spinoffs than direct replacements of their parent shows.

I agree, most people count them as different shows, but it would also be unfair to place them in the same category as shows like Maude, Rhoda, Gloria, Lou Grant, etc. They're a slightly different category.

Even still, Archie Bunker's Place is not All in the Family and Mayberry RFD is not The Andy Griffith Show. They are reported separately for profit participation and such, and therefore are properly considered separate, independent projects. If they are tracked separately (for profit particpations and residuals) and syndicated separately, they are not the same series.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:

And before too long they will all be mine!  Beautifully remastered!  I can't wait.

Even still, Archie Bunker's Place is not All in the Family and Mayberry RFD is not The Andy Griffith Show.  They are reported separately for profit participation and such, and therefore are properly considered separate, independent projects. If they are tracked separately (for profit particpations and residuals) and syndicated separately, they are not the same series.

Well, yes, of course they're separate projects. I wasn't arguing otherwise (and assumed that was obvious), just that such "sequel" shows are in a somewhat different category than the traditional spin-off and shouldn't just be lumped together with them. As someone earlier up the thread mentioned, Dark Shadows isn't likely to be beaten in this particular 'contest', no matter how a person decides to add up things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks