Which should I get , R1 or R2 'Fawlty Towers' Box Set.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david cro, Sep 8, 2001.

1. david cro

david cro Agent

Anyone know what the difference are, if any, between the R1 and R2 versions of Fawlty Towers (Complete Series). I know that one is two discs and the other three, but it's mainly the specs and additional features I'm interested in. Of course the quality of the transfer is important, but I'll have to wait a while before any review appears. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can't decide which version to opt for.

2. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

As it stands now, I am going to buy the individual R2 volumes which are 2 2disc sets btw. The additional features appear to be better on the R2 releases. Both regions seem to contain a commentary and interviews with the cast but the R2's are being advertised as having deleted scenes (!) and a Torquay tourist film as well. In the end the picture quality will be decisive for me (no amount of extras can make up for lousy picture quality), so I'll wait with placing my order until some reviews pop up.

3. david cro

david cro Agent

Thanks Danny, if you come across any more info or a review I'd be very grateful if you could update this post with a link, I'll do the same. As it stands I'm definitely getting the collection, but I'm a long way from being decided on which one, I agree that picture quality is the number one priority, but as both R1 & R2 versions are coming out at or around the same time, I expect them to be mastered from the same source, and be pretty much identical in that aspect.

4. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

Fawlty Towers was videotaped in PAL. Buy the R2 DVD.