Which Setting to Use on CSW Newton S300 Surround Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_MSP, Jun 24, 2002.

1. David_MSP

David_MSP Stunt Coordinator

Today I received a pair of Cambridge SoundWorks S300 surround speakers. Due to the nature of my home theatre room, I will need to place these on the back walls instead of on the sides of the listening area. If the speakers were going on the sides, I would normally switch them to dipole mode and be done with it. Since they're on the back walls however, I was thinking of using either the bipole or monopole mode, as dipole doesn't make sense to me in this particular instance. While I realize I need to go by what sounds best to me, I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of anyone who has these speakers.

2. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

On a back wall I would think that Bi-pole will provide more space and make it harder to source the sound, thereby making the effect closer to intended.

I would not use direct particularly if the speakers are close in height to your listening position.

I have a pair but they are on the side walls roughly even with the couch. Different for different material but usually we prefer dipole. ( I say we my wife makes faces at me...)

J