which setting on my dvd player?!?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ErikU, Feb 7, 2002.

1. ErikU

ErikU Auditioning

i have a 27" toshiba 4:3 television. my toshiba dvd is hooked up to the tv via component jacks. the dvd player gives 3 options: 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 normal, and 16:9 widescreen. what setting is the best to watch dvds in? i like oar so widescreen is the key. i am not sure if i should use 16:9 or 4:3 letterbox. what are the advantages/disadvantages to using either on a nonwidescreen tv?

thanks

erik

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

If you use 16:9, then anamorphic DVDs will be squeezed into your 4:3 picture area. If you use 4:3 letterbox, then everything will be letterboxed if it is widescreen, anamorphic or not.

3. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Erik,

Here's a bit more detail.

16:9- This setting is for players hooked up to a widescreen tv. It allows full resolution display of anamorphic titles on these sets. An anamorphic title will look kinda squished side to side on your set with this setting.

4:3 letterbox- This should be the setting you want to use for OAR viewing. With this setting anamorphic titles will be downcoverted and shown with the infamous black bars. Non-anamorphic titles will be properly displayed.

4:3 normal- I'm not directly familiar with this setting. None of the players I've had have had it. I'm assuming it's some sort of auto-zoom feature which fills the screen of a 4:3 set on titles which are letterboxed or anamorphic.

Hope this helps.

T

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

5. ErikU

ErikU Auditioning

thanks for the info!

erik