which set should I get?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rob Michaw, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

Here is the scenario. I bought a Toshiba 42H80 two years ago. I have had a raster ringing problem for the last two years. I have had the tech come out and look, and there was nothing that could be done to solve the problem. I knew of the fact that Toshiba would refund your purchase if you pushed the issue, but I couldn't replace the set with the same one as it has the same problem and no-one else made a set small enough and good enough to fit my scenario.

Fast forward two years. Other manufacturers are making good sets under 50" that are small enough to fit into my home theater space. Toshiba is giving me a refund of the price of the current model. I will probably lose a few hundred dollars from the price I paid, but other sets have come down in price too. Now I can go shopping for a set around 47" or smaller. I have about $2000 CDN to play with. I can add whatever I want to it, but my wife is not so keen on me adding any money. I would like to stay around that price as much as possible. I could see myself adding $300-500, but that would be tops. This store carries Toshiba, Sony & Panasonic. What should I be looking at within my space and price guidelines?

Thanks.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If you stay in the CRT RPTV realm, you will likely still have to deal with RR ... as all sets seem to have it to some degree. No fix for it either.

Regards

3. Rob Michaw

Michael -

But as bad as I have it now? To be honest, it is pretty apparent. I have a few friends with HDTVs, and I have played the same material on their sets after calibration with Avia and I did not notice the same problem that I am having. Perhaps there is some other problem, but the Type 1 (I think it is type 1) that I am having rears its head in almost any scenes with backgrounds similar to 30 IRE.

I have read that there are 3 types of RR, but the one I have shows itself in foggy backgrounds, underwater shots, night scenes, and even snowy scenes. Two disctincet lines running vertically. Sometimes even the jailbar look. I can expect that on all sets?

Thanks.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Nope. It varies in intensity from unit to unit. Just telling you that it will still be there in some form. That is all.

Regards

5. Rob Michaw

What's your opinion on the Panasonic PT-47WX53? How would that stack up against the 46" Sony? I am asking, as these are around the price range (from this store's credit) that I could play with. I could also look at the Toshiba's, but it appears it is just the 46HX83 that does not have the RR as bad as my current set. I am just a little leary of getting back into a Toshiba.

Thanks.