Which set (B&W vs Paradigm) + sub decision

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by rob_l, Dec 29, 2003.

1. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Thanks for looking. I've been agonizing over this and reading a crap load of threads, but every situation is unique right?

So... here are the two setups with some options:

1) Monitor 7 (L/R)
    CC-370 (C)
    Cinema 90 (Surrounds)
    PDR-10 (Sub)

2) B&W 603 (L/R)
    LCR 600 (C)
    Cinema 90 (Surrounds)
    ASW 600 (Sub)

options:
    replace ASW600 or PDR-10 with SVS PB1-ISD
    Replace the LCR600 with the LCR60. (reducing the price difference from $500 to about $350.)

Couple of things to note:
    -Everything is plugged into a Rotel RSX-1055
    -80/20 HT/Music
    -Room is no larger than 400sqft, but has an open archway in the back.
    -Bookshelves are not allowed
    -Keeping the Cinema 90s because of the size.
    -Neighboring home is adjacent, so super loud home theater or music will be rare
    -Price difference between the 2 sets is ~$500

I've listened to the Paradigms and liked them alot. Compared to Def Tech's (similarly priced) in the same room, I much prefered the Paradigms. I did listen to the 603s, but not in the same room as the Paradigms, so it's hard to compare.

So based on this info, which would you prefer?
    The price difference isn't a huge issue, but I'd rather have the best "value". I don't know if the B&W set is worth $500 more. Would the SVS sub be a waste due to the neighbor or will I notice a better sounding sub at the same volumes? Is the LCR 60 big enough for the room?

I'd like to make this decision in the next 2 days.

Thanks!!!

2. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

For the B&W stuff definitely go with the LCR 600.

3. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Save the $500 and get the Paradigm instead and then use that money and get a SVS instead of the PDR-10. The SVS subs puts out such clean bass your neighbors wouldn't know what hit them. When I first switch from PW-2000 to my SVS 20-39 PCi, it took me a while to realize what bass was suppose to sound like. Warm and clean bass that doesn't vibrate in your ear. Not boomy at all. I live in a townhouse so my music is never super loud either, but loud enough to fill the room and no neighbors have complain yet.

But getting back to the mains, I personally loves the Paradigms, I have the Reference 40's v.2 myself. I have audition B&W 603 in the past and I also like the B&W very much but I stay away from it because I didn't feel it was that much better then the Paradigm. Also, since your usage will be 80/20 HT/music the Monitor 7's will be more then enough for your needs.

4. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Also, is the Rotel/B&W combo something important I should be considering, or is the Rotel/Paradigm just as good? It's just that the rep I talked to and the posts I've read say that the Rotel pairs very nicely with the B&W line.

5. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

B&W pars very nice with Rotel (they better ha). I've heard that the Paradigm's sound a lot brighter than what they are on a Rotel setup.

Everything I've read (because I haven't had a chance to hear Paradigm on Rotel) the B&Ws are a better choice. Course this doesn't mean I'm not wrong, I could be!

6. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Hi Rob, switching your choice of sub to SVS is strongly recommened for either of your setups. Subs unlike speakers doesn't have the timber-matching issue and therefore any sub should work with any speakers. Especially a good sub like the SVS. As to the mains, unfortunately I am not familiar with Rotel and so I can't say if either speakers would work best with it.

My recommendation is don't be too caught up in this. Go back to the stores where you can get these speakers again and take your time and give both speakers a good listen. Remember to bring your favorite CDs, something that you are listening to currently. And try to get a good range of different type/style of music too. Some rock with male/female vocals, some jazz if you're into that, some classical if you got it and try to listen and compare if different styles sounds better with one speaker than the other. Besides the range of sound, also pay attention to the tempo of the music. There are a lot of different factors but I am sure you know what you like, so given enough time, one speaker should stand out over the other as being the better choice for you.

Despite the difference in electronics, you should still get a good sense of what each speaker is better at. And then base upon your in store audition, buy the speaker you like the best. Chances are, the sound is not going to change all that much when you bring it home. But to be on the safe side, make sure you ask your dealer for a trial period just in case the speaker doesn't work for you at home. Bottom line is, if you're not a crazy audiophile, the difference is not going to be so significant that you can't live with either one of these fine speakers. Enjoy your search!

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Paradigms w/ Rotel processing is a great combo. I'm currently running my Studios on a Rotel 1066 (same processing section that's on your 1055). And yes, the Rotels do tame the Paradigms quite a bit.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I second Michael's recommendation, very good advice. Both are good speakers, just pick the one the is ultimately best for you. Rotel electronics are a bit on the warm side and should mate with both speakers well so I wouldn't worry about that. B&W and Rotel do mate well but the rep is telling you to go with the B&W/Rotel as B&W owns Rotel, in addition to the recent purchase of Classe, and so he can make more money. If you do go with B&W, I also recommend sticking with the LCR600 and not downgrading to the LCR60.

Good luck.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Remember, we are only offering our personal preferences. Only your ears can tell you which sounds best. With that said, I would like to offer my opinion.

I personally like the Paradigm Monitor 7s and the newer Version 3 models are much warmer than my Version 1s. Just my $0.02 worth.

10. ColinR

ColinR Auditioning

Both are a great option. I personally have a PDR-12 that I am very pleased with. I am running it through a DTR 6 Integra and Monster Sub cable

11. rob_l

rob_l Extra

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I opted for the B&W package less the sub. I'll be putting in the SVS order soon as well.

As for the rears, this is where aesthetics wins. B&W doesn't make anything as small as the Cinema series so I'll be going with those.