Which Service is offering the CHEAPEST way to get into HDTV - Dish or DirectTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Silla, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

I have been shopping both services the last couple of weeks and basically have been put off by the high price of entry. Do I really have to spend ~$1000 to get started?.

The cheapest DirecTV receiver I have seen is a Hughes model over at Best buy for $499. When you add the cost of the elliptical dish the price becomes real hard to swallow. Has anyone else had better luck price-wise?. Does anyone know of any special deals currently available on equipment?.

Michael.

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

A much cheaper way is over the air broadcast. I don't get HBO or HDNET in HD but I do get all my local channels and networks in DTV and quite a lot is in HD (all CBS evening lineup for example, many big sporting events, etc.).
    And I pay no monthly fees [​IMG]
    To do this you need an HD tuner like a Samsung SIR-T150 I have (you can get these for about $300) and an antenna (mine's a ChannelMaster in the attic).

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Check out your local Blockbuster. They run deals on DirecTV with cheap or free installations. Just ask for the Para Todos dish since they don't charge extra for it. Just don't sign up for the Spanish package when setting up programming. Buy the HD receiver at Best Buy or some other place and hook it up to your HD TV. You will have to keep the basic receiver from Blockbuster connected so you can move it to the bedroom or another room.

-Robert

4. Marik.B

Marik.B Auditioning

Robert-
    Good idea, one question:
    Does that Para Todos dish allow for locking on all three satellites, including the one that sends HD signals down?
    Thanks
    Mike[​IMG]

5. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

At this point DirecTV is showing HDNet and HBO on the 119 satellite (Sat B) and Showtime HD on the 110 satellite (Sat C). You can get Sat B with the Para Todos setup but you need to get a Sat C kit to get that satellite. It's a different LNB internally, so you can't use a normal LNB. Para Todos dishes have a slot for the new LNB and the dish I got recently had the necessary multiswitch built-in.

DirecTV just activated two new channels on 110, but sre just showing junk - speculation is that they're testing the transponders.

I'd hang out on the avsforum HDTV area to learn all about it.

I watched The Silence of the Lambs on SHOHD last night, and some Arena Football on HDNet. The picture is absolutely amazing.

6. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hi,

Does one have to request Para Todos from BB or from DirecTV when I call them for an installation time?

Is programming set up when the installer comes or later? I'm worried that I might ask for the Para Todos dish and then they wonder why i didn't sign up for Para Todos programming.

Thanks,

Joe

7. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit