which sealed tempest design for HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by zane, Nov 15, 2002.

1. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

I checked adire's site and they have 3 different sealed enclosures, will the medium sized one be good for HT

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

For home theater??? I'd go vented unless you have size constraints.

3. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

For HT I strongly second Darren's opinion. What will you be powering it with?

4. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

i will be powering the sub with the ava250, i was leaning toward sealed because they're smaller and i have an infinity perfect 12" in my car that sounds great and its in a 1.25 sealed enclosure, what is the difference in sound quality such between the two, output will not be a issue cause i'm sure the sealed tempest will be enough, will it just go a bit lower ported as opposed to sealed

5. Joe Sabato

Joe Sabato Auditioning

I have an Infinity Beta 12" (predecessor to the perfect) in a 1.25 enclosure and it has very tight clean bass similar to my AR towers( sealed 10" and 12" per unit) which have a QTC of .5 (critically damped). I prefer this type of bass overall.

They don't have the "slam" that a higher Q system has in the mid-bass, but it is the type of bass I prefer since about 1/3 of my DVD's are concerts and I do not like "tubby" bass for music. ( They still will shake the room on movies )

It is all a matter of preference; the "adire alignment" will give you a taste of both, the largest cabinet will get you bass that is close to what your Infinity setup does.

Good Luck!

6. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

would the medium sized sealed enclosure give me tight somewhat low bass thats good for music and movies, i'm not looking for phenomenal output or the ability to feel 18hz notes

7. Joe Sabato

Joe Sabato Auditioning

Yes, That size is a system that will give a System Q of .7 which is a good mix for both music and HT. I was looking at putting a Tempest in my AR cabinets since the foam on the woofers is starting to degrade after 20+ years and my Towers with a Tempest give a System Q of .7 also. You should be happy with that setup.

I am either going to put the Tempests in the AR's when the time comes or do a IB setup with the subs in the attic (after I convince my wife that the hole in the ceiling will look good when I finish it.)