Which screen High contrat gray or mate white?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by huot, Nov 11, 2003.

1. huot

huot Extra

Hi Every body,

I'm planning to buy a SANYO PLV-Z1 next week.
    Two sales-mens, 2 opinions.....
    The first told me that I need a High contrast gray screen......
    The second told me that I don't need a gray screen because the Sanyo PLV-Z1 have a high contrast ration 800:1
    Who tell the true?

I'm in my basement with no lightning (a dark home theater)
    I'm 12 feet far from the screen.....is 84 inches will be too big? (I know it is suppose to be half the distance "6 feet" but I wonder if I can get a little bigger with a 7 feet wide.)

Than you for your precious advices
    RenĂ©[​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That's a very low contrast ratio, and thus a gray screen would be appropriate. This will cost you big bucks though, to get a proper gray screen. You could make a DIY matte white screen very easily and cheaply, and might get the job done. You could also use screen goo, as they have a digital gray variety, that might work, and should cost much less than a store-bought gray screen.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Take a look at what I did for easily less than $100. I just painted my wall with Misty Evening by GLidden and put a Flat black painted 2 1/4 inch trim around it...works great.
    You could also make a frame and use Blackout cloth and paint that.......Truthfully I don't think the Screens are worth the extra money....put the money into a new dvd player or something else in your system. Oh my screen is 106" diag...

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Here in the store, I've got a Draper Cineperm screen and they supplied me with a split screen that's half Matte White and half Hi-Def Grey. I prefer the grey side - by a fairly wide margin. However, most customers have chosen to go with the Matte White, often citing that the screen will likely live through a number of different projectors, and each projector will likely have improved black levels.

If you're a 'sucker' for black levels and the sense of depth it provides (like I am), go with the grey.

As far as pricing goes, Draper (at least) really doesn't charge any extra for grey versus white...it depends on the screen model though.

5. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

This projector really needs a gray screen. The black levels would be just too gray without doing something to enhance the contrast. I calibrated one and even with a gray screen, the blacks were kinda iffy. It does put out alot of light, so it will easily be able to fill a very large screen. If you're sensitive to dark scenes in movies looking washed out, go with a big, dark tinted screen.

6. huot

huot Extra

Thanks every one...i'm going gray !!!![​IMG]

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would opt for gray as well, or silver. When I was making mine, I tried different samples up on the screen at the same time for a quick comparison. This does not take into effect the calibration needed for each sample but it gives you an idea.

8. huot

huot Extra

I finnaly bought a luma grey screen. I'm very happy with it
    thanks every body
    Huot