Which screen? Free Infocus screen, DIY blackout or DYI white board from Home Depot?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Frank_D, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

I have a pull down 76 inch screen that was free with my Infocus 4805 but have just been using my wall while finishing up my basement. Before I put up the screen I wanted to check some other options.

I really like the look of the fixed screens more and have heard great things about the DYI blackout cloth option. I also saw Home Depot has this white board which is like $15 or something and looks like it would work fine.

Which one is going to give me the best picture? The pull down, DIY blackout cloth or the white board?

Although I like the look of the fixed screens better I don't want to take a step down if the pulldown gives that much of a better picture.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Frank, if the 76" screen is big enough for you, I would stick with that. I used a blackout cloth screen for about 6 months, and it was just too dull white. Now I use a painted sheet of MDF and it is much better.

3. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

Jim, the size isn't the issue. I would make them all about 76 inches.

I was just wondering which one of the three would really give me the best picture. I would think the pulldown would have the nicest at first but I would worry that it would start to get creases after awhile of going up and down. I have seen them in some of the conference rooms at my office and they don't look that great.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I don't like sending people to other forums but AVS has a section dedicated to DIY screens. They range from blackout cloth to Parkland Plastic to painted mirrors. There are also numerous recipes for paints on any of these screens.

-Robert

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I had a 92" DIY screen made from black-out material, hung my rebate screen in front of half of it & watched Terminator 3. I could not really tell any difference between the two. I was glad because I didn't want to spend the money on a real 92" screen. [​IMG] I just rebuilt my theater with a 105" painted Goo screen, but haven't compared the two yet. Going from memory though, I think it reflects more light? Once I paint my ceiling darker, I can tell better. If you like your rebate screen, keep it. I did the DIY to get a bigger screen.
    Dave

6. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

drobbins- You answered my question. If the DIY screen is as good as the pull down I would prefer that. I am not only concerned with the picture quality but also how it looks on the wall. They look like plasma's to me, at least in pictures I have seen.

Did you put a border around it? How does it look close up?

THANKS,
    Frank

7. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I use the white board and painted it with Behr Silver Screen. The colors straight out of the Infocus without calibration are awesome. I will calibrate this weekend.

8. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I did the same as Kevin, the home depot white board and Behr Silver Screen. Thought I might experiment later with the "magic" tints that people suggest on AVS, but this current screen is very good.
    JP

9. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Frank,
    Here is a link to my Old Theater . It was ruined by a house flood [​IMG] . Anyway my new one is almost complete. [​IMG] I had under $70.00 in the screen. I sent you a PM.
    Dave

10. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

Dave, that looks awesome. Just what I am looking for. [​IMG]

11. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

i just painted the screen right on the drywall in my basement with behr silverscreen. Then i framed it off. It looks great. I had patched the wall and made sure it was perfectly smooth and sanded before painting and it looks great. When i get time im going to paint the rest of the wall black.