Which Scarlet Pimpernell?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by David Grove, Apr 1, 2005.

1. David Grove

David Grove Stunt Coordinator

I think it was in the 1980's that I watched a VHS version of The Scarlet Pimpernell. From IMDB, I see that there are several versions of this title.

I'd like to try to identify which production I viewed.

Believe it or not, I can't recall whether it was in color, or not. One of the things I do remember was one of the devices that the Percy/Pimpernell character used was continually to peer at things through his I-don't-know-the-proper-name-but-sort-of-a-monocle-or-magnifying-glass lens that he wore around his neck.

Is that enough of a clue to identify? Could that have been the 1934 version? Or a later TV version?

I know it wasn't one of the sequel or parodies, as I distinctly the "They seek him here, they seek him there, etc." line.

Thanks.

DG

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

that little whismical poem is also in the Leslie Howard version from the 30's.

you've probably seen the Jane Seymour version

3. Stephen-R

Stephen-R Agent

I always liked the way Percy said: "..Sink Me..."

I believe the actor's name is Anthony Andrews.

4. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Stunt Coordinator

David,

It is indeed the Andrews/Seymour/McKellen version. I purchased the DVD last yr. @ $7.88, and am quite pleased with the quality, considering this was a TV presentation. Fortunately for me, I was able to sell my VHS copy for $10.

Bob Engleman